Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Dang!
I had no idea about all this.
I guess its just proof of how ignorant we "country bumpkins" are.

I lived in CALI for 3 years and no one seemed to mind I was a hillbilly.
They laughes alot when I talked though.

I got a lot of "dang boy..where you from"?

I run 3-6 tanks a week.
All brands but alot of quick trip gas as I mix it regularly.

Im finding seafoam and tb deep creep service every 20-30k
plugs the same but Im swearing off the NGK for now and sticking with DENSO only.
Oil 3-3.5k

Runs like new after each 20-30k miles service I do.
Now if I can just figure where I grease the truck at.
Looking in FSM but no luck yet.

Chris D....Do you do your own?

·
Registered
108 Posts
I thought that gas truned into sludge after it has been sitting around for a long time. I have never heard of it happening from mixing gas. I always run Chevron and have had no problems.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Come on guys:selfbonk:

Its only been said 10 times here that perhaps mixing chevron gas with other makers could have an issue like sludge.

NO ONE IS SAYING CHEVRON GAS IS BAD.:runaway:

What they are saying is that its possible that chevron gas with their additive mixed with other gasoline companies additives could cause a sludge.

Again, The possibility was raised but he stated the disclaimer to take it for what its worth.

The chemical engineer eloquently layed out his methods.
He certainly never said Chevron was bad gas and actually said he used it in his vette.

Im not trying to be an a$$ but dang fellas.:brickknoc

·
Registered
168 Posts
Humans turn to sludge if they sit around a while to.:D

·
Registered
189 Posts
I doubt any gas stations would mix with diesel, don't see the point since here in CA that stuff sells for more than premium. I did have a newer van once that started getting about 100-200 miles a tank when it should have been 350-400. The stearlership couldn't find any issues and said it was likely the gas station which probably had bad tanks (rotten robbies). He said to always go to a station with alot of traffic, as they are always pumping fresh gas into their tanks more often. Stations with less traffic tend to have older gas/jacked up tanks. Switched stations and the normal gas mileage returned. In fact here in california, the tanks were getting real bad, and they replaced most of them a few years back.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this is an old post, But here is my story. I live in Phoenix AZ. Maricopa County, which mandates 10 percent Ethanol most of the winter. I have a 2001
Daewoo that only has 26000 miles on in now, I used Shell and other brands. I been fighting a P0133 for about 4 years. After OEM and other sensor changes. the P0133 was related to Ethanol in cold weather and also the cause for my fuel pump to go astray. So I did a testing this Feb 2011, I drove to a Texaco Station (Chevron) subsidiary. Which i found from buyrealgas site. Payson is colder the Phoenix. and Yes it does get cold in the Winter, 20 and lower can occur at Dawn,

So to cut to the chase, I filled up with the Texaco 100 percent Gas,

buyrealgas site

I checked it with an Echo Ethanol tester and it was 100 GAS no ethanol, I could not believe 7 miles down the road later, I was about empty and the P0133 and has not come back since. I have 2 gallons left of the Fuel I brought back.

But as the first guy said, here is my story I lived it. If you look for other post of P0133 winter gas (as sometimes ethanol is called etc.

And boy I hate the new (CARB Compliant) gas can spouts)

enough rant, hope this helps someone some day.

All the best, Best

·
Registered
1 Posts
This mite sound a bit odd to some, but I've heard plenty of this and found a few people stating the same thing..

Don't run Chevron Gas or any subsidiary that uses Techron..

All gas is the same except for each vender uses their own additive..
Heres the deal..

The gas is fine, the techron is not..
If you run shell gas or anything else other than Chevron, then your fine, untill you mix in any Chevron fuel into preexcisting gasoline that has different additive than the techron additive, it causes a chemical reaction and forms sludge..

heres a situation, neighbor named Deno bought a brand new Harley motorcycle, hes been putting in Chevron Premium sence day one and he now has 1100 miles on it.. (3 months later)

Hes had to run other brands of gas, but for the most part hes ran Chevron 80% of the time..
Nothing else additive wize

Hes noticed his bike has been running a little sluggish till this morning the bike would turn over, but act like its out of gas.. half a tank easy.. fuel on..

So we load it up into my truck and take it to the Harley dealer..
guy isn't busy so we pull around back and unload it..

He goes to turn it over and asks Deno what gas hes running or if hes ran any type of race fuel or additives in it, ect..

Deno sais the majority has been nothing but Chevron because its close by..
Jed or Jeff, mechanic sais, ok, brb.. I think I know the problem..

He grabs a screw driver, pulls the carb off and does a few other things and pulls off this little bowl deal off, and its coated with sludge..

He sticks his finger strait into it and was able to suspend the cup by his finger..

Sludge..

I've heard a few tow truck drivers rattle off at the mouth about chevron, ect..
Wow..

Also my buddy Jeff's 99 Silverado just had to have the pump assy replaced as well.. hes ran chevron up near his house because its close and has used several other brands of gas which has mixed in as well..

Nasty stuff..

You can take it as urban myth all ya want, i didn't read any of this on a site, I witnessed this first hand.. For what its worth, its free..

there ya have it..
Hi,
I wish I would of read this back then. I agree with you analysis, I've been using Chevron techron gas at least 90% of the time. And now my truck has been making ping noises coming from the engine. My mechanic said it 's because of the fuel I have been using. Now it will cost me more $ to have it repaired :(

Thanks for posting this, I now know where to look for the noise.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Wow, I didn't know about this. I will fill up Chevron maybe 1 out of 10 times, there's one near where I live that surprisingly has decent 91 octane pricing. Not anymore.

61 - 69 of 69 Posts