Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
I run diesel now any way lol.

3.50 a gallon fill up yesterday for 29 gallons.

that one hurt. :(

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
Just spoke to a chevron employee and i asked whats the deal with the different gases and was told that all gas from every refinery is the same before additives and is a matter of fact there is a pipeline between shell and chevron that they can pump gas in between each other to meet demands when needed. so you decide what additive you want going into your tank because the gas is all the same.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I get better fuel mileage with chevron vs shell...maybe the sludge is working its magic.

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
i don't think that anyone said that chevron gas had sludge in it, but i think what was said is that techron gums up when mixed with other additives. (which is purely an opinion). i think that i am going to buy a gallon of chevron gas and a gallon of another brand and put 1/2 of each in a 3rd container and let sit a few days and examine all three containers to see if anything develops in any of the three. Very curious:thinking:

·
QA1 Founding Father
4,471 Posts
i don't think that anyone said that chevron gas had sludge in it, but i think what was said is that techron gums up when mixed with other additives. (which is purely an opinion). i think that i am going to buy a gallon of chevron gas and a gallon of another brand and put 1/2 of each in a 3rd container and let sit a few days and examine all three containers to see if anything develops in any of the three. Very curious:thinking:
word :headbang:

ive seen a piston with a hole eaten through the top, and they said it was the arco gas they ran in it... i highly doubt it... they probably werent tuned and detonated so bad that it melted a hole in the top of the piston and had arco in the tank when it happened..

its all hear-say until its proven

·
ADMlNAHATER
8,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
its all hear-say until its proven
pretty much..

Thats why the info I was kickin out was as is with no warrenty expressed..
Freaked me out a little bit when I saw that crap in his motorcycles carb bowl tho..

·
Premium Member
417 Posts

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Technical Bulletin​
Page 1 of 3​
© 2007 Volkswagen of America, Inc.​

Model(s) Year Eng. Code Trans. Code VIN Range From VIN Range To
All 2000 - 2007 Gasoline
Engines Only
All All All​
Condition​
01 07 55​
July 17, 2007 2014815 Supersedes T. B. Group 01 number 07–39 dated April 27, 2007 due to additional
statement regarding fast removal of carbon deposits.

Gasoline Quality​
The use of contaminated gasoline, seasonal fuel changes (summer/winter fuel) or gasoline with a low content of
deposit control additives may result in one or more of the following conditions:
Excessive accumulation of deposits on intake valves, intake manifold, fuel injectors and combustion chambers.
Engine runs rough after cold start.
Excessive engine cranking time.
Stumbles while driving.
Rough engine idle.
Loss of engine performance.
Poor fuel economy.
Conditions may be severe enough to illuminate the MIL in conjunction with storage in the ECM data memory of
DTCs for misfire (example: P0300, P030x) and / or lean fuel system (example: P0171, P0174, P1128, P1130,
P1136, P1138).​
Technical Background​
1.​
Condition may be caused by use of contaminated gasoline.

2.​
Condition may be caused by use of gasoline with a low content of deposit control additives.

Production Solution​
No production change required​
Technical Bulletin​
Page 2 of 3​

Service​
1. If use of contaminated gasoline is suspected:​
Consider advising the customer to change gasoline source (brand/gas station). Contaminated gasoline may
exhibit one or more of the following characteristics:​
•​
May have unique color and odor.

•​
May contain water.

•​
May contain sediments and suspended matter.

•​
May appear cloudy and (after settling) may show signs of separation.

If use of gasoline with a low content of deposit control additives is suspected:​
Recommend to the customer the exclusive use of TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline. These products provide
improved deposit control performance. Current TOP TIER Gasoline retailers offering this product in all their
octane grades include the following brands:
QuikTrip
Chevron
Conoco
Phillips 76
Shell
Entec Stations
MFA Oil Company
Kwik Trip/Kwik Star
The Somerset Refinery, Inc.
Chevron-Canada
Aloha Petroleum
Tri-Par Oil Company
Shell-Canada
Texaco
Petro-Canada
Sunoco-Canada​
Tip:
For more information on TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline, please see www.toptiergas.com.​

·
Registered
586 Posts

If use of gasoline with a low content of deposit control additives is suspected:
Recommend to the customer the exclusive use of TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline. These products provide
improved deposit control performance. Current TOP TIER Gasoline retailers offering this product in all their
octane grades include the following brands:
QuikTrip
Chevron
Conoco
Phillips 76
Shell
Entec Stations
MFA Oil Company
Kwik Trip/Kwik Star
The Somerset Refinery, Inc.
Chevron-Canada
Aloha Petroleum
Tri-Par Oil Company
Shell-Canada
Texaco
Petro-Canada
Sunoco-Canada
Tip:
For more information on TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline, please see www.toptiergas.com.

yep see texaco is also a part of chevron... chevron has been proven to be one of the best retail gasolines

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
I use chevron gas for the most part, however there are times I have to fill up with 76, Shell, Gas from Base which I have no Idea what brand it is. Etc. Etc. I have never had a problem with gumming up or anything. Although I regularly do Seafoam it.

On another note it is 100% possible that this could be true. Obviously additives mixing together could result in some bad stuff for your vehicle. But the blame cant necessarily be placed on Chevrons Techron. It could probably happen with Texacos additives combining with Shells Additives or Or with 76 Additives combining with Arco additives. So I dont think Chevron with Techron is the only fuel you need to be worried about doing this. It COULD happen with any of them.

I for one dont believe it does, because I have personally never had a problem. Until it is tested or confirmed Im going to still be putting it in My truck and I guarantee its gonna end up getting mixed with other brands and additives and Im not worried about it building up a sludge.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I'm pretty sure from reading that article that DMP posted, that getting gasoline without additives is impossible. All gasoline is going to have some kind of additive.

If you COULD get gasoline without additives it would probably be much worse for your fuel system and engine since the additives are cleaning up the carbon deposits etc.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Back in the 1920's they use to put Colored DYE in Motor OIL, green, red yellow ect...........

People swore certain color were better than others....................:lol:

·
Registered
488 Posts
well i know for a fact that in my town... every gas station gets their gas from the same distribution place.... bp... shell.... texaco.... so i suppose that it really dosnt matter where its all gonna be the same stuff

21 - 40 of 69 Posts