Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
ADMlNAHATER
8,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This mite sound a bit odd to some, but I've heard plenty of this and found a few people stating the same thing..

Don't run Chevron Gas or any subsidiary that uses Techron..

All gas is the same except for each vender uses their own additive..
Heres the deal..

The gas is fine, the techron is not..
If you run shell gas or anything else other than Chevron, then your fine, untill you mix in any Chevron fuel into preexcisting gasoline that has different additive than the techron additive, it causes a chemical reaction and forms sludge..

heres a situation, neighbor named Deno bought a brand new Harley motorcycle, hes been putting in Chevron Premium sence day one and he now has 1100 miles on it.. (3 months later)

Hes had to run other brands of gas, but for the most part hes ran Chevron 80% of the time..
Nothing else additive wize

Hes noticed his bike has been running a little sluggish till this morning the bike would turn over, but act like its out of gas.. half a tank easy.. fuel on..

So we load it up into my truck and take it to the Harley dealer..
guy isn't busy so we pull around back and unload it..

He goes to turn it over and asks Deno what gas hes running or if hes ran any type of race fuel or additives in it, ect..

Deno sais the majority has been nothing but Chevron because its close by..
Jed or Jeff, mechanic sais, ok, brb.. I think I know the problem..

He grabs a screw driver, pulls the carb off and does a few other things and pulls off this little bowl deal off, and its coated with sludge..

He sticks his finger strait into it and was able to suspend the cup by his finger..

Sludge..

I've heard a few tow truck drivers rattle off at the mouth about chevron, ect..
Wow..

Also my buddy Jeff's 99 Silverado just had to have the pump assy replaced as well.. hes ran chevron up near his house because its close and has used several other brands of gas which has mixed in as well..

Nasty stuff..

You can take it as urban myth all ya want, i didn't read any of this on a site, I witnessed this first hand.. For what its worth, its free..

there ya have it..

·
Registered
42 Posts
MMMMM.....i dont think gas can create sludge. Chevron is a top tier gas company, from what i hear it takes alot to get on that list. Ive been using Chevron for years and never had a issue maybe your buddy was using old school pennzoil.

·
Registered
8,276 Posts
I run ONLY 76. Why ? I don't know....since day one. Either on my truck or my Civic, I run ONLY 76.....so...
But thanks for the info's....

·
Registered
241 Posts
I do a lot of business with one of the major pipeline companies. The deliver refined petroleum products all the way from Houston, TX clear up to NJ

From what I understand...just because the sign at the gas station says Chevron, doesn't necessarily mean that you are getting gas that has been refined in a Chevron refinery. And understanding how my customer's pipeline works....it's entirely possible that its not the same brand as on the sign, or maybe even a blend of multiple refinery's gasoline.

For whatever thats worth :nana:

·
Registered
586 Posts
That's funny because every other scientific study with PROVEN results i've ever seen about chevron gas is that it's the top tier - cleanest - best for your motor gas you can buy

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
I have only ever had Chevron with Techron as well. Served me well for years. Shoot, I run it in my 1968 Cadillac too and it has no problems!! :shrug:

A test of mixing the 2 fuels in a glass container or something would be interesting if this is true.

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
I do a lot of business with one of the major pipeline companies. The deliver refined petroleum products all the way from Houston, TX clear up to NJ

From what I understand...just because the sign at the gas station says Chevron, doesn't necessarily mean that you are getting gas that has been refined in a Chevron refinery. And understanding how my customer's pipeline works....it's entirely possible that its not the same brand as on the sign, or maybe even a blend of multiple refinery's gasoline.

For whatever thats worth :nana:
The company i work For does most of it's work in fuel refineries and this statement is correct. once the fuel is received at the end of the pipeline there is no telling what refinery (company) it came from then it has the additives added in. Right now as i type this i'm at Chevron Richmond Ca.Refinery where the fuel, be it gas, diesel or propane are all in raw form the propane doesn't even have the odor added yet. And i'll tell you what there's a lot of nasty @$$ $h!t that is in Gas.

·
Toyota Tacoma X-Runner
2,067 Posts
MMMMM.....i dont think gas can create sludge.
why not? its not the gas that creates it, its those crazy high tech stuff they put in there. and this can easily go wrong if you start mixing up different brands.
something else, just yesterday a friend told me about a new motor oil with ceramic or teflon in there, cant recall exactly. i personally stay far away if it gets too crazy.

·
QA1 Founding Father
4,471 Posts
thats good to know, four of my buddies work for chevron, im gonn ahve to hit them up about this, three are mechanicals and one is a SMART A55 chemical engineer.. so they would know about the issue(s) that have to do with this.

if the later portions of the pipeline have mixed fuel in it, wouldnt it clog the pipe like cholesterol?

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Yeah I dont think that happens to all cars.

I ran it in my type R integra and other hondas and it ran better than any other gas.

Also thats what my work was hooked to so I only put it in my taco to.

Thats what i have gotten here in nevada.

·
QA1 Founding Father
4,471 Posts
Yeah I dont think that happens to all cars.

I ran it in my type R integra and other hondas and it ran better than any other gas.

Also thats what my work was hooked to so I only put it in my taco to.

Thats what i have gotten here in nevada.
the fuel not the problem, its the fuel mixing with other fuels :shrug:

if it clogs like cholesterol you can always try and throw a few zocor tablets in there.
i wish our trucks were that easy, seafoam?

·
Registered
828 Posts
That's funny because every other scientific study with PROVEN results i've ever seen about chevron gas is that it's the top tier - cleanest - best for your motor gas you can buy
thats what i tho. all that additive is like a detergent, right? suppose to clean things up. I have a yamaha Motorcycle and had another Yamaha and GSXR prior. and used cheveron supreme and had no problems. Maybe it has something to do with the bikes fuel pump and filter. i know u said it was brand new. but motorcycles(esp. fuel injected) can have all sorts of probs right of the lot.

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
thats good to know, four of my buddies work for chevron, im gonn ahve to hit them up about this, three are mechanicals and one is a SMART A55 chemical engineer.. so they would know about the issue(s) that have to do with this.

if the later portions of the pipeline have mixed fuel in it, wouldnt it clog the pipe like cholesterol?
the additives are added after it reaches it's destination. (not before they pump it through the pipeline)

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
Well obviously fuel gums up stuff. ever taken apart an old carb? i would imagine that mixing of different chemicals could possibly speed up this problem.

·
QA1 Founding Father
4,471 Posts
the additives are added after it reaches it's destination. (not before they pump it through the pipeline)

:waytogo: i see...

its all chem stuff, now that its been brought up, i can totally understand that this happens though.. the chemicals they use arent "normal" chemicals... they use the lastest technology and crazy amounts of cashish to find new ways to make their gas "better"...

i need to seafoam

1 - 20 of 69 Posts