Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 1996 Tacoma Standard Cab 2WD. Does this vehicle have front end sensors, or is the only sensor located in the module located on the floor under the radio? I have a SRS light continuously. I removed the airbag from the steering wheel and read out the clock spring all the way back to the module; continuity good. Toyota dealer said the module was dead, but Toyota no longer supports the part, so I got a replacement from Airbag Center in Florida. After replacement the SRS light didn't come on at all, making me suspect that the replacement is bad. So either the airbag itself is bad or there are sensors that I can't find to check for bad connection or corrosion. Also, can the SRS be read out through OBD. Failed inspection and is parked. Any help appreciated. Anyone have a schematic?

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,577 Posts
There's one Airbag Sensor Assembly, and it's behind the lower center dash.

Here (attached) is a 1995.5 / 1996 FSM section (Pre-Check) that illustrates how you can cross a couple of terminals to read SRS codes via blinking by the SRS warning light in the cluster.

I've also attached a list of SRS codes and the wiring diagram (such as it is ...).

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks I have been looking everywhere for anything wiring related. I guess they just don't want anyone working on airbags. Understandable, but there are those of us that are completely competent to do so. I've been working on high performance military aircraft for 45 years, everything from engines to things that go boom.
This will give me a great start. Thanks again.:smile

·
Registered
3 Posts
Anyone know where I can get a srs module part 89170-35010. This one has been discontinued. My clockspring is good. I checked continuity. The fuse is good. I have a constant light on. I tried blinking the system. No blinks and no codes. Any help? Please? I think it's my module my truck has 420,695 miles on it.

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,577 Posts
Welcome to CT!

What are the specifics on the truck (year, etc.)?

Why are you sure the SRS control module is the problem? Could there be any reason to suspect one or more of the peripheral SRS components is dead or dysfunctional?

·
Registered
3 Posts
96 tacoma 4x4 2.7 manual transmission. As I said the clockspring is good. The fuses are good. I have a solid srs light.. no codes, didnt flash a code. Do you have any suggestions?

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,577 Posts
(Sorry for the delay ... The site seems to have been down this afternoon ... )

Just to make sure about where you stand ...

Were you following the pre-check procedure from the FSM sections I'd posted years ago in this thread?

When you attempted to get code blinks did you bridge the pins inside the DLC1 in the engine bay?

Since you didn't see any code blinks, did you proceed to do the Tc Terminal Circuit inspection (see attachment)?

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bridged the pins, like you said.. no codes. Just a solid light this is continuously on.
I checked voltage between E1 and TC no voltage. I checked TC to ground, I got voltage.

I checked the TC wire harness that plugs into the airbag module as the diagram showed..and touched to ground no continuity.

It's dark out now and a tad bit cold I will continue to work on it tomorrow..and go through the steps again just to make sure I checked everything correctly.

I really appreciate that diagram.. and your help. :)

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,577 Posts
Be careful when you move on to Step 4 (checking the connector on the airbag sensor assembly itself) and follow the instructions exactly.

No voltage on the Tc pin checks (Steps 2 and 3) certainly points toward (but not directly to) the sensor assembly being dead.

I just wanted to make sure you'd checked out all the relevant angles before concluding it had to be the sensor assembly.

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,577 Posts
About the discontinued sensor assembly ...

You may end up having to consider a used unit from a recycler.

This unit may have also been used on other Toyota models. Sometimes it's easier to locate new old stock parts if you're searching on models other than Tacomas. Just a thought ...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts