Toyota Tacoma Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted a thread a while back about my annoying, squeaky clutch. I took it to the dealer and they replaced the bearings. I got it home and the SOB still squeaks! I cannot figure it out?? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
This comes from tacoturbo on XR-U. A few people have done this including myself and it completely solved the issue.

Aloha guys. I think this might help. I've had the creaky clutch before. I work for Toyota and the first repair under the TSB lasted for about 6 months. The creak came back worse than ever. I think I found the problem and solution. The clutch pedal arm is a composite (plastic) material and the pivot point on the plunger shaft mates in the back. What I've noticed is that over time the shaft has a tendency to rotate alittle, enough so that the pivot point binds and causes a creak that is heard and felt in the pedal as it's depressed. Mine creaked and vibrated on the first initial travel of 1 1/2 to 2 inches. All I did was to rotate (center) the shaft untill it felt like it was in the pocket again. Squeak, creak and vibration is gone. The cure was instant and has not returned for 2 months now. As an experiment I rotated the shaft as if it was out of line and the creak returned. To me the problem is identified and solved on my X. Try this it may work and save you a trip to the dealer. BTW, I didn't lube the pivot at all. I hope this helps. The creaky cluch drove me nuts!

·
Registered
11,619 Posts
My 02 creaks (more than squeaks) at the slave cylinder. See if yours does too. I've come across a few people with 01-04 with similar noises. It happens more when it's cold and moist out.

·
Registered
11,619 Posts
If the noise is gone, great. Mine probably won't go away until I replace the slave cylinder. The master cylinder is the part in the engine compartment against the firewall that has the reservoir. The slave cylinder is the one under the truck next to the clutch that has the pushrod against the flat piece (release fork). Have someone dis/engage the clutch while you look underneath to find the slave cylinder and release fork, which should be moving back and forth.

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
I have the same squeaking clutch pedal problem. My clutch setup must be a bit different since it's an '01. My problem seems to be coming from the giant spring. Could that be?

Its not the spring but the bushings it slides on. They have replaced mine twice. First time they used the wrong type of lube and it ate the bushings.
Theres a article in the tech section

·
Banned
1,427 Posts
Took it to the dealer. They want $500 to fix the squeak. WTF? They said that the bushings are out and when that happens for a while that they have to also replace the pedal assembly. Is this true? The bushings themselves are $27. Figure I'll just buy them and do it myself.

·
Registered
565 Posts
This comes from tacoturbo on XR-U. A few people have done this including myself and it completely solved the issue.
I give this the "Easiest and Most Bizarre Tip-of-the-Year Award" :grin

My clutch started squeaking like mad on my 2013 Taco, so I tried spraying all the clutch pedal hinge points with some silicone spray. That did nothing for the squeaks, but made my truck smell like silicone spray :| Then I read this post, gave the clutch bolty-thing a twist with my fingers and bam! No noise!

On my truck, there's blue paint on the clutch pedal, bolt and related parts... almost as though someone knew the bolt would turn over time and put the paint on there to line things-up again. All I did was turn the bolt until the blue paint markings lined-up and that seems to have worked for now. Weird.

·
Mambeau / Admin
48,212 Posts
I wonder if the blue paint had been there all along (i.e., it was done at the factory or some other time before the truck was sold). :thinking:

There's no specific mention of such a thing in the factory Dealer Prep instructions.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2019 clutch started to squeak. Behind the clutch arm there is a hydraulic cylinder that attaches to the clutch arm at the top of its silver piston. The piston attachment seems to be a socket joint of sum kind that allows for play as the clutch is depressed and release. Take some grease and a Q tip or your finger and rub the grease all around the socket be sure to get it into the socket. It stop my squeak. WD40 or silicon spray lubes didn’t do the trick. They must not hold or evaporate. So far I’ve got a quite clutch again. Toyota does have a bulletin on this problem. The recommended taking everything apart and greasing all joints, bolts etc. They did mention replacing the hydraulic piston. Seems like over kill.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts