Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok heres the deal i just got my tranny rebuilt in my 2001 toyota tacoma v6 4x4. Speedo was working before i got it rebuilt. Checked every single fuse none are bad. bought a new speed sensor the one in the passenger side of the transfer case and put it in, still not working. also the odometer is not working. any body got an idea or where i should start looking?? i am taking it back to the tranny shop but they act like they dont have a clue and i dont want to get the run around for a month.:brickknoc

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,661 Posts
Did you check the 10A GAUGE fuse in the relay / junction block behind the lower left dash? Even if you did - check it again. That is the only fuse that might conceivably affect speedometer behavior.

It's not a ground problem. The speed sensor circuit doesn't ground separately from the cluster. If that master ground were screwed up, you'd have no cluster lights / indicators at all.

There are a total of 3 wires (light blue; green / red; pink) coming off the vehicle speed sensor. All 3 run through the 'IK2' connector located above the glove box. If any of those 3 wires was shorted or pulled loose at the connector, that might explain a totally 'dead' speedometer.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the reply fellows. in my haynes manual they say to test the speed sensor using a volt meter. its supposed to fluctuate from 0 volts to 11+ volts four times per revolution. the old sensor only goes to 2.56 volts and the new one only goes to 6.54 volts. could have bought a bad sensor?!?!? seems like with a lil voltage it ought to at least tremble.I will check the wiring. Also could this mess up the tranny some forums say that the speed sensor could have impact on A/F ratio, shift points, etc.... tranny shifts fine, valve body upgrade does make an improvement by the way. I am taking it back to the shop, i just like to have some knowledge so they dont feed me a line of crap.

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,661 Posts
The FSM confirms those numbers. The voltage variation should range from approximately 0V to 11V or more.

Here's the test writeup, and the wiring hookups are illustrated in the attached diagram.

INSPECT VEHICLE SPEED SENSOR OPERATION

(a) Connect the positive (+) lead from the battery to terminal 1 and negative (–) lead to terminal 2.

(b) Connect the positive (+) lead from the tester to terminal 3 and the negative (–) lead to terminal 2.

(c) Rotate the shaft.

(d) Check that there is voltage change from approx. 0 V to 11 V or more between terminals 2 and 3.

HINT:
The voltage change should be performed 4 times for every revolution of the speed sensor shaft.

If operation is not as specified, replace the sensor.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thats exactly what i did. The old one was 2.56 volts and the new one was 6.54 volts so the one napa sold me must be bad too. hmmm.. im gonna take it to the shop and let them know what i found. thanks for the info.

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,661 Posts
If you hooked it up as illustrated (directly to the sensor terminals), then the sensor itself isn't working right. I wanted to make sure you'd connected the voltmeter directly to the sensor - to rule out any chance of wiring issues affecting the readings.

Good luck with it ...

·
Registered
6,923 Posts
The other possibility is that the gear in the trans is not spinning, IE:spun the pin on the shaft, mine did that.

You can find out by removing the shifter assy (Not the 4wd one) and there is a gear on the shaft that should spin when in gear and moving, jack up the rear of the truck and put it in 1st before you remove shifter assy. start the truck and let the clutch out so the tires are spinning, the gear under your shifter pins should be spinning.

When the truck is not running see if you can spin the gear independantly of the shaft as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts