Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i drive a 2009 tacoma double cab pre runner v6 4.0 liter

alright i am mounting two marine speakers in my bed for tail gaiting and such.
i made a hole big enough for 6x9 speakers and they fit well and look good.
i am running speaker wire under my truck and drilling a hole from the bottom of the truck to the floor panneling by the door. I am then planning to interconnect the marine speakers to my regular speakers. i am going to be using a swith to turn the marine speakers on and off because i will not always want them on when im driving.
Now here is the PROBLEM...
those jap bastards thought it would be funny to change the color of the speaker wire frequently..
so i need to know what color the speaker wire is.
this area has like 50 wires.
and again this area is located underneath the floor panelling near both doors
the wires are all inside a black protective tube.

So which wire do i need to connect to???????

any other input???

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,768 Posts
Toyota is usually pretty consistent with their wire colors from year to year.

However ... Wire colors do vary with different cab types and stereo types.

The first question is: Do you have the base stereo or the optional JBL system?

If you have the base stereo (no separate amp) *and* there's been no significant change since 2007, here's the 2007 base wiring diagram.

You'll notice that there are two pairs of connections / connectors in the rear speaker circuits:

- IE2 / IL2 (kick panels, each side)
- BA1 / BB1 (under the center pillar, each side)

So ... With the base stereo you should have two places where you can wire in the additional speakers.

If you have the optional JBL system, things get more complicated ...

Attachments

• Image uploading. Refresh page to view
    25.4 KB Views: 49

·
Registered
379 Posts
just splice in your new speaker wire inside the door panel somewhere

or, just splice them in somewhere near the head unit.

its that simple.

and dont drill any holes in your cab! :doah:theres plenty of factory holes through the cab that arent being used with little rubber gromets in them. at least this is the way it is in my 07 base model.

·
Registered
5,267 Posts
Also think about how you wire those speakers so you dont cause any damage to the headunits amplifier. Most likely you will want to run them in series to create an 8 ohm load. If you run them parallel you will end up dropping the ohm's down to 2 ohms and create to much heat which will in turn ruin the head unit. I would like to see pic's of where you mounted teh tailgate speakers.

Speaking of switching you could install an A and B speaker switch that you could wire up to the rear channel allowing you to turn the rear speakers off in the cab and only run the rear speakers in the bed on the rear channel allowing you to keep the HU at a 4ohm load... just something to think about.

Or you could just open your rear doors turn off your cab light and call it a day.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Toyota is usually pretty consistent with their wire colors from year to year.

However ... Wire colors do vary with different cab types and stereo types.

The first question is: Do you have the base stereo or the optional JBL system?

If you have the base stereo (no separate amp) and there's been no significant change since 2007, here's the 2007 base wiring diagram.

You'll notice that there are two pairs of connections / connectors in the rear speaker circuits:

• IE2 / IL2 (kick panels, each side)
  • BA1 / BB1 (under the center pillar, each side)

So ... With the base stereo you should have two places where you can wire in the additional speakers.

If you have the optional JBL system, things get more complicated ...
Im the opposite i got same issue but with Jbl system can you help with wire connection

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,768 Posts
Im the opposite i got same issue but with Jbl system can you help with wire connection
It depends on whether I have the relevant wiring diagram and you providing some basic clues.

What year and cab style is your truck?

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,768 Posts
Thanks for the additional info.

Here (attached) is the 2007 wiring diagram for the 2007 optional audio package with the separate outboard amp and subwoofer.

There don't seem to be any variations in wiring colors like there are with the base audio system.

Bear in mind the resistance / ohm-age issues mentioned by Phil R (above).

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts