Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. First time here. I've recently purchased a used 2002 Tacoma x-cab and am in the process of upgrading it. I've started with the stereo and replaced the stock system already. I'm going to install new speakers on my own and was hoping to get some advice.

1) I've seen different dimensions quoted as to what size speakers fit in the front. I've seen 5 x 7 and 6 x 8 (after some widening). What should I expect when I pull the door of??

2) Does the rear speaker vent/grate pop off or do I have to take off the entire panel? And again what is the speaker size back there??

Thanks for any help!!

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,679 Posts
The 5X7's and 6X8's are essentially the same size, mounting - wise. 6X9's, on the other hand, are a different (larger) species.

No - the 2001 - 2004 XtraCab rear side panels are one-piece, and you can't get to the speakers without removing them. The earlier generation (1998 - 2000) had separate, removeable speaker sub-panels.

Search for the 'Stereo Demolition' thread (which details the full procedure for dismantling an '01 - '04 XtraCab interior). You may not have to perform the entire 'demolition' procedure to just swap out the speakers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts