Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2014 off road double cab. I have no custom mods. Driving at 75 is intolerable. I have to turn the radio to like 40. I have been reading through threads here . My question is probably addressed but what is the best bang for the buck to quiet it down some? I just want to make it tolerable e.g. radio on maybe 30 at 75. Is there a recommended minimalist work e.g. the doors? Spay underside or do I have to rip out everything to make enough difference? I really want to quiet it down, but not enough to tear everything apart.

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,578 Posts
Welcome to (visible) CT! :waytogo:

As you've probably already noticed from rummaging through past threads - it's complicated. It's complicated because vehicles vary and there are different types and sources of background noise.

You've got a 4WD DC. This means you've got a relatively stiff suspension, a relatively large interior volume, and the maximum amount of interior panels and surfaces to cause or transmit noises. If you're running large tires with aggressive tread that only makes things worse.

The first thing to do is to turn the radio off entirely and listen ... The first step is to evaluate what noises are being generated and where they're coming from.

The different tactics for sound deadening aren't identical in effectiveness. Some are better for quieting interior noise from vibrations (including resonating with vibrations from outside / underneath). Others are better for sound-insulating the cab from completely external noise.

I suspect a large part of your noise is vibrational and is coming from underneath. If you decide that's true, I'd suggest starting with that issue - whether or not it's the only source of pesky noise.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts