Toyota Tacoma Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I just replaced my stock bumpstops with these shorter ones, they are a perfect bolt-on for a 2002 5-lugger. Energy Suspension 9.9137, made for a jeep:
http://www.energysuspension.com/pages/bsp2.html
Close up shot: http://www.offroad-engineering.com/9-9137.html

These bumpstops are 1 7/8" tall, while the stockers are about 4" tall. So this works good with my 2.6" drop. These bumpstops can also be cut down shorter, while the stockers cannot, because you hit metal.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
I just replaced my stock bumpstops with these shorter ones, they are a perfect bolt-on for a 2002 5-lugger. Energy Suspension 9.9137, made for a jeep:
http://www.energysuspension.com/pages/bsp2.html
Close up shot: http://www.offroad-engineering.com/9-9137.html

These bumpstops are 1 7/8" tall, while the stockers are about 4" tall. So this works good with my 2.6" drop. These bumpstops can also be cut down shorter, while the stockers cannot, because you hit metal.
Thanks for the heads up! :waytogo:

Nice find! Ordered mine and installed them today, perfect fit!
Where did you order yours? And, how much did you pay? :waytogo:

·
Premium Member
13,640 Posts
or you can do this for about $5

All you need for a low pro bump stop is a piece of rubber. I used a piece of pvc coupling found at your local hardware store. Cut it to the same size as the stock piece, drill 2 holes for the bolts and put it on. Easy to find and cheap. I beleive I bought a 3" coupler. Here is what they look like.

Here is what it looks like installed. I put mine on flat, while others make an arch. Here's an example of each. :waytogo:

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Where did you order yours? And, how much did you pay? :waytogo:[/quote]

yes how much!

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Pulling this thread (and my CT contributions) out of the grave! I haven't been a regular here for at least 14 years, as my Taco mods were done, and I had other stuff to focus on such as optimizing my 4Runner!

The Energy Suspension 9.9137 rear bumpstops have worked fairly well, until a few months ago when I used my truck as a truck, with ~1100 lbs in the bed. The 9.9137's allowed the tire to rub the fender sheet metal, and started cutting the tire tread at the sidewall. Maybe the bumpstops were tired and became softer due to me hitting them so often, or maybe I never carried that heavy a load since 2007. I could've tried installing new 9.9137 bumps, but I was never completely happy with them even as they ramped up too quickly, so when you hit them, you knew it! IMO, a good bumpstop would be soft enough that it is difficult to tell if you hit it.

Anyhow, I'm now looking for a taller/softer option that will fit the Taco. After much searching on the forums, I investigated several dead ends, including actually buying and test fitting the 5 lug and 6 lug Timbren SES to see how they would fit. Bottom line, they are both too tall and too stiff if you are lowered (if not lowered, the 2wd/5lug model looked like a great option for a softer than OEM bumpstop that also provides a better ride when carrying a heavy load in the bed.)

The googling continued, and I found the Daystar KU09016, which looks to be the best "bolt on" option, after I progressively trim off height until a get a decent ride. The KU09016 is known as a "soft/progressive" bumpstop, and another version that has a different mounting plate is used on 4Runner rear axles with rave reviews on it's progressive nature. I specifically will not order the shorter Daystar KU09017, because the axle will hit the rear tapered side instead of the top of the bumpstop. (this is because the bumpstop frame mounting holes are not perfectly in line with the axle when you use dearched leafs, or even non-dearched 4x4 leafs.)

If nobody provides any other options, I will proceed with the KU09016 and report back. PM me if I forget to report my results by February 2022!

My Setup:
2RZ/5-lug xtra cab
225/60-16 tires on S-Runner Rims (no wheel spacers)
S-Dad 4x4 leafs(Rancho RS9000xl shocks) that were dearched(lowered) to be level with..
Eibach Pro Truck front lowering coils

1 - 14 of 14 Posts