Toyota Tacoma Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After buying my 2004 TRD Offroad Prerunner and noticing that the radio broadcast from local stations was always a little too staticky compared to other vehicles I've owned in the same area, I replaced the antennae with a 31" whip antennae.

Sadly, I am still getting a similar unsatisfactory broadcast signal.

Any known issues out there with generation 1 tacos regarding radio system? What process would you recommend I go through to diagnose? Gotta clean this one up, I'm a radio listener!

*It's not the speaker system, when I use my Bluetooth phone-radio accessory I get crystal clear audio.

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,972 Posts
I'm assuming the head unit is the factory radio - right? ...

The OEM radio isn't exactly a world-class audio unit, but it sounds like yours is giving sub-par performance.

What kind of Bluetooth accessory are you using with your phone? Is it connected to the truck's audio system in any way? Whether or not it's connected to the truck's audio system makes a difference as to whether the better Bluetooth sound quality is a clue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@Enola Gaia It's an FM transmitter, so it's still using the OEM radio/antennae system. And when I put my hand on the antennae it reduces the interference noticeably... Could it be a grounding issue?

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,972 Posts
It's more likely to be a "leak" (bare wire; chafed wire) that's picking up interference from the engine or the bodywork.

Here's a quick 'n dirty experiment you might try, on the off chance it helps ... Pull the antenna, and put a rubber washer (or similar non-conductive piece) under it where it seats on the fender. If the antenna itself is picking up leaked interference off the body that should stop it.

Unfortunately ... I suspect there's a poor connection or a wire (antenna-to-head-unit) that's become bare from chafing. If the rubber washer trick doesn't work, I'd pull the head unit and double-check that the antenna line is securely connected with no visible breaks or bare spots in the wire.

The approach most likely to help would be to run new wiring for however long a distance you're still relying on the OEM antenna line.

Have you removed the smartphone and FM / Bluetooth stuff entirely to see whether the radio interference might be caused by those additional radio-frequency emitters?

Reactions: pimpRunner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts