Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, I posted earlier today on getting AAL's for small lift and smooth ride and got some good info...thanks . The reason I was leaning towards AAl's is because I've heard that shackles can be tough on and possibly break stock leaf springs.
:confused: I was wondering: 1. How hard are the shackle lifts on the stock leaf springs ... 2. If the height of the shackle lift changes the wear on the leafs ... 3. Would shackles be okay and possibly a better choice for someone who doesn't do any towing and doesn't do nothing but minor off roading?

Main reason I'm asking is because I have a chance to get some Daystar greasable shackles for cheap.

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
Re: How hard are new shackles on leaf springs?

Shackles are fine, the longer they are, the more leverage on the leafs and more they will eventually sag.

AAL are good to, they will make the leafs sag, but it is less apparent until you remove the AAL.

OR for a little more do a full leaf pack

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Re: How hard are new shackles on leaf springs?

1) will flatten, eventually negatively arching your stock leafs.
2) Bigger the shackle, more leverage on leafs as george said.
3) Get the deaver 3 pack.

·
Registered
186 Posts
The guy above is right; you'll have to modify your exhaust a little for shackles. But from personal experience, I would go with shackles vs. AAL's. AAL's stiffen the rear up quite a bit. Mine's a lot stiffer and in the 2 years I've had them on, my leafs have already sagged so far that they need replaced. Shackles aren't as rough on the leafs and are still easy to install. But if you can afford a new leaf pack, that's the best way to go. I've heard A LOT of good about Deaver's leaf packs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts