Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Flaming Bastard
9,442 Posts
NO

Dribble it in via. the brake booster vacuum hose. Best way to "direct inject" it.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I bought my first bottle of Seafoam today, but the guy at Advance said to pour it into my gas tank, let it sit there overnight, then start up to finish the process. How does this differ from the "brake booster" method?

·
Lurker
3,235 Posts
Well, mixing it in your gas will dilute it, while pouring it through the brake booster applies it "full strength" to the deposits in your engine, plus letting it sit in your gas tank overnight does nothing.

Most people recommend sipping up a half can or quarter can in through the vacuum line to the brake booster, shutting down the engine for a few minutes, start it up, clear out the deposits, then dump the rest in your tank.

Theres nothing wrong with putting it in your gas tank, you just won't get the maximum benefit right away.

·
Premium Member
8,245 Posts
yeah, it works as a fuel stabilizer and injection cleaner in your tank, but if you want to clean carbon deposits of your intake system and cylinders you'll want to suck it up the brake booster line....follow the directions on the bottle, they will tell ya suck some up a vac line, some in the tank, and even some in your oil if you plan to change it soon will help clean more internals, though i wouldn't run more than a few days with it in the oil

·
Registered
781 Posts
BoostError said:
NO

Dribble it in via. the brake booster vacuum hose. Best way to "direct inject" it.
Maintenence time!!! I'll be doing this weekend.. as well as using the Seafoam Transtune before replacing my atf with Amsoil.

Boosterror: have you used Seafoam transtune for your tranny before?

Mikey

·
Registered
372 Posts
has anyone had trouble with seafoam fouling your sparkplugs? I was doing a little research about it a little while ago and remember a couple of guys mentioning it.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I put half of mine into the tank and half sucked up through the pcv.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
jbush27 said:
has anyone had trouble with seafoam fouling your sparkplugs? I was doing a little research about it a little while ago and remember a couple of guys mentioning it.
I changed my plugs a while ago at about 22k, running seafoam once a year at about 7k mile intervals, and they came out clean as a whistle. See for yourself:

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
yeah, i have some questions too, im coming up on 100,000...i have never done it, is there a way that you can mess it up by using seafoam? would there be any possiblities of messing up at almost 100k? should it be half in the tank, and half poured or sucked into the brake booster vaccum line? then after you do it, just go and drive it??? i wanna know how to not screw it up before i do it...oh and will it increase performance/gas mileage?

·
Lurker
3,235 Posts
all these questions have been asked before, and I know from personal experience that theres more than one very informative thread on the subject.

Not to be rude or anything like that, but you can probably pick up most if not all of the info you're looking for through the search function.

But, to give you a shorty, yes a full can is probably a lot at one time. Half a can is probably more than plenty. Yes you can mess it up. Don't shove the tube right into the liquid, let it "sip" it up, or dribble it in. As you do this the truck will begin to smoke. I usually shut it off for a few minutes to let it do it's thing on the carbon, then I start it up or go drive it. It will smoke more than anything you've ever seen, so use discretion as to where and when you do it.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
i like doing it when people are at work or inside their homes. Last time i did seafoam it smoked for a good 20 mins and i got alot of people with concerned faces looking my way.

·
ice cream taco
3,756 Posts
hmmm:thinking: ... im gonna do it. Is there only one kind of Seafoam?
Iv never done it. Maybe

·
ice cream taco
3,756 Posts
hmmm:thinking: ... im gonna do it. Is there only one kind of Seafoam?
Iv never done it. Maybe ill do it on a sunday mornin when not many people are out. Just not easter sunday when everybodys out huntin for eggs.lol:lol:

·
Flaming Bastard
9,442 Posts
I've never tried the tranny stuff. I prefer to just abuse my tranny until it goes off like a mortar. :lol:

·
Registered
781 Posts
BoostError said:
I've never tried the tranny stuff. I prefer to just abuse my tranny until it goes off like a mortar. :lol:
More than likely Im going to try the Trans tune Seafoam since it is readily available at my local parts store. Let you know how well it goes.

Mikey

·
Premium Member
8,245 Posts
yeah, trickle in about half a bottle into the vac line, then shut it off for about 5 mins...pour the rest into the tank while you wait, start it up, and watch the smoke show...it really is pretty amazing how much nasty crap will burn off and out of your engine

1 - 20 of 45 Posts