Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey.. im pretty new to tacos and trucks in general...i just bought a 2003 2.4 l 2wd taco and wanted to know if they made superchargers or turbos to fit? i saw lc engineering carried them...but wasnt to sure if it was for the 2rz or 3rz..any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Re: sc or turbo?

Three things to do right now, READ READ READ :exactly: :exactly: :exactly: :draggin: !! all you can and turbo that thing and go with bigger injectors and the urd ftc and all that other stuff . go to www.streetfire.net and search (turbo Tacoma) and there's a truck running low 13s 4 banger with a turbo!

·
Registered
1,601 Posts

03taco said:
hey.. im pretty new to tacos and trucks in general...i just bought a 2003 2.4 l 2wd taco and wanted to know if they made superchargers or turbos to fit? i saw lc engineering carried them...but wasnt to sure if it was for the 2rz or 3rz..any help would be greatly appreciated
A thread entitled "2rz turbo" just poped up with some turbo parts for sale. looks like a different type setup but it maybe a good start. By the way, anything you ever wanted to know about turboing an RZ is on this website. just have to do a little searching.:waytogo:

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

cool..thanks a lot for the info..ive been scanning the threads but was not totally sure

·
Registered
885 Posts

You're have to find some way to smog it though when it comes time since you live in Cali. Only way to do it is find a "friend" who will pass it or take all that crap off and smog it stock. I'm more than likely gonna s/c mine with a smaller pully, water/alchy injection and cams and some other goodies just to avoid the major PIA of taking all the stuff off every year for smog. Somebody had a pretty quick s/c 2rz on here and was running 13's on the quarter mile with some internals and the s/c. Its just gonna cost you way more to make it fast with the s/c, but to me it beats the hassle of worrying about taking the thing apart every year. Especially since its my only vehicle.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts

Yeah I went through this whole ordeal as well. Turbo has a much greater efficiency but is not legal for us smog schmoes in California. I took the supercharger route for the 3.4L. The supercharger is bolt on and go out the box, there is some more tuning involved with turbo, but the benefits are greater. Also depends on what sorta driving you plan on doing, supercharger is power right off the line, no spooling. BUT, runs out of efficiency later in the RPM range where the turbo would just be gettin started. Here is a thread that ended up with S/C vs. Turbo, check it out, its recent too.

http://www.customtacos.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66155&highlight=TRD+Clutch+Follow

·
YEP... I'MMA DOUCH3
10,933 Posts

I heard of people making claims of 13 sec times with a 4 cyl and s/c but I doubt it... it takes roughly 230rwhp to make a taco flyinto the 13's that means that a fully tuned, with the smallest pulley and all of the bolts ons- plus CAMs, should help you get there... unfortuantely, that doesn't happen in real life...

·
www.ncp-power.com
4,510 Posts

Racer_X said:
I heard of people making claims of 13 sec times with a 4 cyl and s/c but I doubt it... it takes roughly 230rwhp to make a taco flyinto the 13's that means that a fully tuned, with the smallest pulley and all of the bolts ons- plus CAMs, should help you get there... unfortuantely, that doesn't happen in real life...
and after all that, you've got a 20,000 dollar strippie truck thats just "ok fast"
not "WAS THAT A TACOMA???" fast. the last 04 GTO i raced said that. :lol:

·
YEP... I'MMA DOUCH3
10,933 Posts

well actually that setup should run you the same as a turbo setup... but if you want the head built to be more efficient- that's another story...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts