The Bezel

And the money shots (cut offs
)

It should look like this when i am done:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can but it would be a waste, because the output is so great with the lowbeam alone. All you would need fog lights for is the foreground like 10ft in front of you, and for looks.

These pics should make you want to get a RETRO:

These pics are from haknslash from hidplanet

·
Stop Staring
5,744 Posts
should look good. what made ya choose to use the S2000 projectors? im just curious cause youve got quite a bit of space to work with in the headlight housing so that give more possibilities

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Amber.

I found out about HIDplanet through your little heated thread. But to answer your question, PERFORMANCE, color, and cut off (sharpness). The only thing that sucks is the loss of high beams, but since I don't drive in BFE I didn't go Bi-Xenon (TL). As far as low beam projectors go the s2ks and the LS430s are the best, so that is why I went S2k.

Pics:

LS430 projector output (Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiideeeeeeeeeeee)

S2k projector output

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Retro = Retrofitting (DIY)

What you need is:
2 Projectors
2 Ballasts / Ignitor
2 Bulbs
1 Relay Wiring Harness

There aren't really any plug and play kits, you just have to piece together everything and put it together (i.e. like putting together a computer yourself.) This way you get quality components and you get what you really want. All of the things listed above was a little over 6 bills (FYI pricess vary, I got really good OEM stuff w/ a 2 yr man. warranty)

Feel free to ask me any questions or visit www.hidplanet.com

-eyevan

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
DAMN! that's AWESOME.. i'm sold. Where do I get these? Never heard of retros before.. How much?
Retro as in retrofit install. He had to retrofit a stock component (HIDs from a Honda S2000) into his X-Runner. You can spend $1500 on an HID retrofit, it just depends on where you buy your parts. And its not just a bolt in mod, you have to make the projectors fit into the stock housing. Which takes a little inginuity.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i like that!!!

too bad nobody attempted this on the 01-04 yet
01-04 is so much easier than the 05 to do a retro, because it has a seperate headlight housing. Not only that they sell after market stuff CHEAP that you can modify to accept an HID projector.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7981040596&category=33710

Someone has already done it:
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=424&highlight=tacoma

And here is a write up for a 4Runner
http://wecool.net/home/Lights/4RunnerRetro.htm

·
Stop Staring
5,744 Posts
eye...those lights wont fit for the 01-04, they are the sealed beam design, the type thats in the 95-97 Tacomas.

AFP....try it yourself, its really not that bad as long as you have some mechanical ability and electronics knowledge. watch ebay for some headlight housings and the HID parts ya nees, then work from there. use the extra set of headlights just incase you mess up. the hardest part about a retrofit (usually) is trying to get the projector aimed properly.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I edited the pic

But its still a much easier retro than the '05, plus they sell extra headlight assemblies on ebay.

Anyone know where I can get an extra '05 headlight assembly?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If you do choose to do it. Mod the headlight with the cleanest/clearer lense, because it will impact performance. I know its common sense, but i've seen it done with some crusty ass yellow headlight covers before.

And why wouldn't anyone want to drive with HID lights? 6 bills might seem like a lot to some, but the factory (i.e BMW) charges 7 bills for their Bi-Xenon setup. And if you were to spread it out through the course of two years that's less than a dollar a day.

ISN'T your truck worth a Dollar a day?

1 - 20 of 128 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.