Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have been reading up on the competition lately, (Dodge Neon SRT-4), and have had a few "run-in's" with them as well. Not only do they sound pretty knarly, they seem to be pretty quick too. On the other forum for SRT-4's they claim as low as 13.9 and 14.1 for 1/4 mile:eyecrazy: . I have played out on the street with these guys but never gone head to head. Has anyone on CT? If not do you think that a nicely built S-Runner, (S/C. exh, fuel management etc.) could take one?:thinking: I know I have given STi's a run for their money:headbang: , but has always depended on the driver, and they always get me on the freeway too, but the freeway is no big deal to me, its off the line. Thanks guys.:waytogo:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,466 Posts
lskustumz said:
Hey guys, I have been reading up on the competition lately, (Dodge Neon SRT-4), and have had a few "run-in's" with them as well. Not only do they sound pretty knarly, they seem to be pretty quick too. On the other forum for SRT-4's they claim as low as 13.9 and 14.1 for 1/4 mile:eyecrazy: . I have played out on the street with these guys but never gone head to head. Has anyone on CT? If not do you think that a nicely built S-Runner, (S/C. exh, fuel management etc.) could take one?:thinking: I know I have given STi's a run for their money:headbang: , but has always depended on the driver, and they always get me on the freeway too, but the freeway is no big deal to me, its off the line. Thanks guys.:waytogo:
ive taken out some pretty serious srt -4's on the highway, they all end up going like this:brickknoc
 

·
StepSIde
Joined
·
3,295 Posts
Jonathan said:
ive taken out some pretty serious srt -4's on the highway, they all end up going like this:brickknoc
Thats not fair picking on those neons like that Jon.
Do you ever get to stop and talk to them after you have handed there asses to them?:lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Their curb weight is about the same as ours, 2900 lbs.A lot of them brag that they pinned their speedo at 158mph,:looney: . They are supposed to be faster on the highway, I pin my truck at 110, and then the governor kicks in , but I prefer to stop at that point, a little too fast. I just don't know how we would stack up to some of these guys that are getting 375rwhp,:jawdrop: . They have the dyno sheets too, BUT the big problem is that they are front wheel drive and can never get traction.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,747 Posts
lskustumz said:
Their curb weight is about the same as ours, 2900 lbs.A lot of them brag that they pinned their speedo at 158mph,:looney: . They are supposed to be faster on the highway, I pin my truck at 110, and then the governor kicks in , but I prefer to stop at that point, a little too fast. I just don't know how we would stack up to some of these guys that are getting 375rwhp,:jawdrop: . They have the dyno sheets too, BUT the big problem is that they are front wheel drive and can never get traction.
some of us have 410 to the wheels, lsd, and mad traction ;)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,747 Posts
ChrisTaco said:
Really? I just made 500 on my bagged Taco w/ a 2jz, been running mid 9s all day long.

It's kinda boring me now, I'm thinking I'm going to trade it in on a Kia.
actually, you should get an xrunner. i hear those are real fast :runaway:
 

·
slow poke
Joined
·
3,098 Posts
ComaJoe said:
I've taken stock srt4s on the interstate, never ran them anywhere else

-ComaJoe
Joe, that takes some will (and a little bit of balls?) to go in a highway run in a pickup truck, period -- let alone against a 13sec turbo car :clapping: :headbang:

I've never had a run-in with a stock one, I've gone from a dig against one that probably had basic bolt-ons (at least a wide-open exhaust, damn thing sounded PISSED). I had about 4 carlengths after ~60ft, we were door-to-door by the top of 3rd :doah: (for reference, check my gallery for my timeslip.)

theres one that is always at the local track putting down high 12's /low 13's, and then a couple others in the mid-high 13's. I'm pretty sure they'll put down high 13's stock, and odds are if they're willing to play with you on the street they're not stock. :thinking:
 

·
YEP... I'MMA DOUCH3
Joined
·
10,933 Posts
I've beaten a few of em' and 1 ACR Srt-4 with a big turbo and bigger fmic... Jon- a heavily modded SRT-4 will eat you- period... I've seen them running flat 12's all day with all the bolt ons... so if one was running a computer management system the spankings would come your way real fast!

No offense though- your truck is quick!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
977 Posts
I outrun them all the time , I have a friend with a srt-4 with a stage 2 1/4 I still get him by a half a truck , but from a roll 45 - 120 I beat him till around 110 then he starts to pass and by 120 he will have me by a car . so that tells u how quick he is passing me up , up high .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They always seem to pass on the freeways cause they are all spooled up and ready to go. I can't wait til someone comes up to me one night, S/C truck, turbo car. We have it all in the traction and off the line power. I did however have a run with a guy, out in Ontario, CA, who was REAL fast, his motor was completely rebuilt with huge turbo, I pulled over and spoke with him for a bit, and we both complimented each other:bow: . He said he has never seen a tacoma that could keep up with him like that. Sounded vicious too!! We still gottem off the line, but if they are in a roll, forget it. I have taken STi's, no EVOs though, they always get me after 110!!:brickknoc
 

·
back in black (tacoma)!
Joined
·
6,238 Posts
toyotaracer9 said:
I outrun them all the time , I have a friend with a srt-4 with a stage 2 1/4 I still get him by a half a truck , but from a roll 45 - 120 I beat him till around 110 then he starts to pass and by 120 he will have me by a car . so that tells u how quick he is passing me up , up high .

IS that in your Srunner?


BTW, how is the 2rz coming along? You were making some good power at one point...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
977 Posts
ochizon said:
IS that in your Srunner?


BTW, how is the 2rz coming along? You were making some good power at one point...

yes , this is with the Srunner , the 2rz needs a heavier clutch the stage 3 slips with anything more then 10lbs . I still drive it but just cant run enough boost to get timeslips on . I am building a house rightnow and dont have the extra money to buy a better clutch .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
In that video, comajoe, did your governor kick in? Or do you have one? You were stayin with him in, then it looked like the STi just ran away. I'm curious, because I can keep in front of them all the way until I hit the 110 governor. Was that your case? Coool vid :headbang: .
 
1 - 20 of 76 Posts
Top