Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys. I've been floating around the forum for a couple months and I have a question that doesn't see to be clearly answered by anyone -directly.

This is for the S-dad mod (leaf spring change-out) to drop a couple inches in the rear. I have an '03 standard cab, what springs will work for the s-dad drop? Are the only possible options part #s 48220-04130(left) and 48210-04330(right)?

I also found that the Dorman 929-401 replacement spring is supposed to match the part # 48220-04130, but Dorman doesn't seem to make a replacement for 48210-04330. I've sent them an email asking for an explanation and I am awaiting their response.

I think my biggest concern comes from this pdf that I've attached. it lists a lot of various part #s for 4x4 leafs and I'm wondering how this applies to the s-dad mod.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: The attachment rules are a bit restrictive and I have no way of uploading said pdf file at this moment. Sorry.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Also, as since I can't post links yet, I found generalspringkc _ com using the search on this forum and I'm wondering if they are a viable option too. Thanks.

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
S-Dad mod consists of using Toyota 6 lug leafs and removing the leaf below the main leaf, and re using the 5 lug overload. 6 lug leafs are side specific unlike 5 lug leafs. For your 03, you'd look for stock 6 lug leafs from a 98-04 truck.

·
ADMlNAHATER
8,720 Posts
S-Dad just ran stock 4x4 leafs.. all leafs intact.. but with blocks.. (S-Dad mod)
www.customtacos.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30464

I did the "modded S-Dad" or (S-Dad Variant) as Enola modded the header..
leaf removed and mini's original overload swapped over..
www.customtacos.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91576

Just find some good used leafs..
Aftermarkets mite not have the same rates and ride higher than desired..

You need a total of 15 posts then the rest of the the site opens up for ya..
It's a spammer function..

Welcome to CT!!!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I understand the reason for the link rules, just thought I'd mention it when I referenced the website.

Anyway, does that mean any 6-lug leaf works? because inside of Toyota's part# listing for these trucks, there are about 5-6 different leaf pairs depending on the truck. the part #s I listed above are all that I can find on this forum, so I was just curious.

comment: it looks like S-Dad used "R - 48210-04360 L- 048220-04150"

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,662 Posts
... it looks like S-Dad used "R - 48210-04360 L- 048220-04150"
Those are the leafs listed for 2001 - 2004 6-lug Regular Cabs.

The fact S-Dad used them on his XtraCab S-Runner illustrates how the basic leaf packs are interchangeable between these two cab styles.

The Regular Cab versions are probably not quite as stiff as the ones for a similar 6-lug XtraCab, because of the RC's lower weight.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, I guess that makes sense. Thanks. I'm gonna have to post a worklog or something at some point, although most of my mods so far have been bolt-ons :/.

P.S. Can't wait to receive the int. wipers from you, Beefed. That has to be one of my biggest pet-peeves in this truck.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I am running the dorman 4x4 leafs with the middle leaf pulled and 2 inch blocks. no issues other than the spring rate is too soft for the way i drive in corners. I dont know how to stiffen it without raising it up.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am running the dorman 4x4 leafs with the middle leaf pulled and 2 inch blocks. no issues other than the spring rate is too soft for the way i drive in corners. I dont know how to stiffen it without raising it up.
thanks for that. I was wondering it anyone every tried them as an alternative to buy 6-lug leafs. Do you mind sharing your part #s in case someone googles it like I tried too?

·
Registered
708 Posts
Mine are the dorman 929-400 which is for the 1995-1997 Toyota Tacoma 4x4, (they are an overall shorter length than the 97+ 4x4 leaf springs.)

·
ADMlNAHATER
8,720 Posts
Had a.bone stock jeep, saw I bent a leaf, went with a set of dormans,.it rode way softer..
My 85 toy 4x4, rear end was a little saggy, dormans, rode way to soft.. Returned them, went with a jc whitney aal and it was good to go..

Their junk..

My dad had a 79 chevy longbed.. Leafs were shot.... Yaddadaaaaaaaa

My used toy taco 4x4 leafs with one leaf removed on toxic shocks..
I couldn't get the suspension to move much when jumpin in the.bed.. Donno if thats because the 01-04's are any different, but thats my experiences with leafs..

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Cool, thanks guys. I've had no luck in finding a decent used set of leafs so for now I've welded up myself a custom set of blocks. I'll probably revisit the leafs as soon as I knock out some other things on the truck

·
Registered
57 Posts
Cool, thanks guys. I've had no luck in finding a decent used set of leafs so for now I've welded up myself a custom set of blocks. I'll probably revisit the leafs as soon as I knock out some other things on the truck
I got mine from ttora. Those guys upgrade their springs all the day. In a couple days I found a set in va for going price. Even had a couple extra response after I found my set.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks, but I had no luck there either. my WTB went without notice for over a week and several sellers never returned my emails/pms. I plan on trying again later, though.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Had a.bone stock jeep, saw I bent a leaf, went with a set of dormans,.it rode way softer..
My 85 toy 4x4, rear end was a little saggy, dormans, rode way to soft.. Returned them, went with a jc whitney aal and it was good to go..

Their junk..

My dad had a 79 chevy longbed.. Leafs were shot.... Yaddadaaaaaaaa

My used toy taco 4x4 leafs with one leaf removed on toxic shocks..
I couldn't get the suspension to move much when jumpin in the.bed.. Donno if thats because the 01-04's are any different, but thats my experiences with leafs..
interesting, i wonder if i would be happier if i had the toyota leafs instead of dorman.....

·
Registered
28 Posts
Rather than pulling a leaf and swapping on the 2wd overload, has anyone used 4x4 leafs and just ditched the overload leaf altogether? (running on just the 3 main leafs, no overload).

I have a '99 Ext Cab, brand new KYB Monomax's installed all 4 corners and Belltech lowering springs on front. I'm just looking for a very moderate drop to match on the rear. The new 4x4 leafs I have honestly look to the eye like they will raise the truck, but wont find out til they're on. I'm changing the rear bushings on them to Nissan ones that match the proper Outer/Inner diameters required (Harris HB1109 or HB1107 is the part number).

Since the truck had lean on driver rear side, I thought replacing the leafs was better than adding blocks to 21-year-old springs to get my desired 2-3" drop! I may have thought wrong as I'm in over my head. lol

My 3 options are:

1) Swap in the 2wd overload leaf and keep all 4 leafs.

2) Swap in the 2wd overload leaf and remove a middle leaf, running 3 total.

3) Remove overload leaf altogether, and run with the 3 main leafs.

Any idea on the outcome of these 3 scenarios and/or recommendations??

Much appreciated!

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,662 Posts
Fausto asked whether he could ditch the overload altogether in this 2010 thread;

Doing that will leave the rear suspension soft - a problem if you ever haul weight in the bed.

Chris D. also mentioned he tried to eliminate the overload and discovered it was a "no go."

I'm not sure where Chris D.'s experience is documented. Do a search if you want more info on his attempt.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts