Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '05 Taco TRD. In the bed there are two storage compartments which have plastic doors with plastic knobs. When you take the doors off there are metal pieces screwed on to the knobs so the doors will stay shut or open. I took the compartment doors off this summer only to find the metal pieces completely covered with rust. The dealer would not replace them so I took a grinder and cleaned them up then repainted them. 3 months later rust is starting again.
Anyone else having the same problem? There must be something else to replace this piece since Toyota won't stand behind there product.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Well after you clean them with a buffer, you should get them extremly dry. Make sure there is no visible rust. Then get a rust converter to stop rust. There are many different brands out there. After you put on the converter, you sould let it dry for a long time, atleast a day. Then put some sort of rustolium to finish. I took the skid plate off my '96 Tacoma 2 springs ago and pressure washed before using a wire brush and sand paper to get the rust off. Just now I am starting to see a little bit of rust in places where I missed with the converter. Goodluck

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,677 Posts
I don't think anyone's ever reported corrosion on those latching pieces before ... :thinking:

·
Registered
736 Posts
I have had rust on both latches and the tie down rings since the truck was almost new. I cant believe Toyota didn't think of this as a potential problem:confused:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts