Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not only is my truck an 01, it spent 7 or 8 winters in MN. You can imagine what it looks like underneath... Can I just clean it and use rustoleum or something underneath?

Thanks in advance!

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,615 Posts
Have you checked to see if you have any coverage or rights under the frame rust campaigns Toyota ran years ago?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Not only is my truck an 01, it spent 7 or 8 winters in MN. You can imagine what it looks like underneath... Can I just clean it and use rustoleum or something underneath?

Thanks in advance!
If you're not the original owner, contact Toyota Customer Care @ 800-331-4331 & give them your VIN # to scan the history of your Tacoma.

The original owner should have taken the Tacoma to a local dealership within 10 years of original purchase to have the frame inspected & specially treated for rust.

If the original owner did that within the 10 year period, Toyota extends the warranty/guarantee to 15 years [additional 5 years] to the original date of purchase.

............................................................................................................................

Look for holes on the inside section of your frame specifically around the welded section, the holes basically have to be larger than your "pinky" diameter which I believe around 10 or 15 mm.

Mine had holes around the welded portion of the rear transmission brace [driver's side] & around the welded portion of the front gas-tank brace [passenger's side].

The local dealership finally, after the second visit in two years, deemed my Tacoma "un-safe" and submitted for a new frame.

........................................................................................................................

THREE MONTHS later, I finally picked my Tacoma last week with a brand new FRAME.

New Leaf Springs w/ new U-bolts
New Control Arms
New Tie-rod ends with new strut arms
New Brake Lines w/ Rear ABS sensor & steel lines along the frame
New Emergency brake cables

·
Registered
165 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts

Thanks in advance!
Not sure if you've seen this here- I was in your shoes when I first got my Tacoma back in 2014 & here's my post which I included links for materials and tips to tackle the rust on my own.

http://www.customtacos.com/forum/127-1995-5-2004/172250-tackling-rust-frame-suspension.html

1 - 7 of 7 Posts