Toyota Tacoma Forum banner
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
The Foot Pack is for the bars to mount to the truck. The bike carries are extra and depend on model (they have a ton).

You should be okay without the tracks. Think of it the same as having a rack on top of your car. Those bars must be set at a certain distance for proper fitment. They are non-adjustable and yet all the carriers work on them.

If you wanted to be able to move the bars at a later date you can always get another set of bases for the feet to lock into. (about 70 bucks retail and ill hook you up)

The price quoted is for the rack itself with bars and locks (so people cant steal the bars/feet or the stuff attached to them).

·
Registered
6,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Oh ok, I get it now..I understand..

Umm, do they offer a universal bike carrier?
Because I have a 20" bike..but I also have various 26"s..and my friends ride different amounts of biks also..
I also saw this one type of carrier once that has a bar that went down over the front wheel and compressed it..and that's it..?

How much do those run?(universal if they have)

Seems like its gonna be up in the $450 range? with the bike carriers?. maybe more..
not bad..i'll have too look into it some more

and decide which route to go..

·
Registered
960 Posts
Im not very Up on the Bike rack thing. I do Kayaks. Here is a link to the Thule Bike carriers though. If you have questions I can ask my sales Rep or my Buddy Matt who runs a Bike shop and is also a Thule Dealer.

http://www.thuleracks.com/carrier_bike2.asp?location=1

Most carriers seem to be universal, Just a decision on Upside down, Fork or Upright and together.

·
Registered
159 Posts
IMO fork mount bike racks for the bed are one of the best/safest/easiest options. Get a fork mount online or at a local bike shop and mount it using either a cleat or directly to the track, see link. I'm in the process of doing that now. Eventually I'll get the roof rack for kayak's. We had the bikes on a hitch rack but who really wants their $3,000 bike hanging behind their truck?

For those who haven't seen this "mod"
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=120255

·
Registered
6,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
IMO fork mount bike racks for the bed are one of the best/safest/easiest options. Get a fork mount online or at a local bike shop and mount it using either a cleat or directly to the track, see link. I'm in the process of doing that now. Eventually I'll get the roof rack for kayak's. We had the bikes on a hitch rack but who really wants their $3,000 bike hanging behind their truck?

For those who haven't seen this "mod"
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=120255
Eh, I already custom welded up one of those for my bed..but I have my tonnuea cover on..so it's not going to work.

and I wanna be able to carry the board and bike at the same time (there are some skateparks up where I snowboard..that they clear out the snow every day)

I'm not sure really..might just have to throw the stuff inside the ton cover...and call it a day.

I'm really thinking of buying the rack from Cj though soon..it's tempting..:):)

·
Registered
960 Posts
Just let me know. Everything appears to be in stock at my location right now (and I think a few other stores have it too) and I have my Preseason order coming fairly soon. Your quote is saved in my database, 09 pricing ends 12/31 so it is valid until then.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Anybody ever seen a cargo rack off a FJ mounted on an 05+ D-Cab?? Would love to see some pics of that.

I need to have a place to lock up 3pairs of skis so they are not just laying in the bed of the truck on weekend ski trips.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts