Toyota Tacoma Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
6,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Think my truck would look sick with one...for bikes + snowboards(even though i would probabaly crash my truck trying to drive it in snow..if the roads are clear and weather is clear i can drive to Dodge Ridge only..but if it starts snowin, then im f^cked)

Any ideas where to get one?
Pictures of them mounted?
I saw Chad's truck with one on there..but wondering if there are any others..that you guys could find that I couldn't find

would a 20" bike even fit on the roof of my ext cab?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Think my truck would look sick with one...for bikes + snowboards(even though i would probabaly crash my truck trying to drive it in snow..if the roads are clear and weather is clear i can drive to Dodge Ridge only..but if it starts snowin, then im f^cked)

Any ideas where to get one?
Pictures of them mounted?
I saw Chad's truck with one on there..but wondering if there are any others..that you guys could find that I couldn't find

would a 20" bike even fit on the roof of my ext cab?
You just gotta not suck at driving. I live in Sonora (foothills of sonora pass like 30 minutes below Dodge Ridge) and have made it up countless times in the snow and ice. All you need is chains, and if you feel like roostin sideways past chain control with out any... just load up the bed with sand bags and learn to feather the throttle. :D

·
Registered
72 Posts
Roof racks are straight ballin! Mine came off my old Camry. The Q Clips don't fit exactly right, but it was just sitting around collecting dust, so I figured what the heck.

·
Registered
250 Posts

·
ADMlNAHATER
8,744 Posts
roof racks have always been more of a euro thing..

but if you don't have the room, rack it up :)

a rack on a truck would be a bit useless..
save your money and stop looking on craigslist for crap to buy ;)
mount a few fork mounts on the tonneau and call it done..

·
Registered
6,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
roof racks have always been more of a euro thing..

but if you don't have the room, rack it up :)

a rack on a truck would be a bit useless..
save your money and stop looking on craigslist for crap to buy ;)
mount a few fork mounts on the tonneau and call it done..
I still want a roof rack, because it's versatile.
I can get a cargo rack to go top..bike..canoe..**** like that.
Who knows what is going on down the road:evil:

·
Registered
6,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't give a **** about your opinions, I asked a simple question thats it..
if your not gonna answer it, don't post..simple as that

and that includes you Chris..I have my fun on this site and play around with threads..but I'm lookin for a answer, not some bull**** like every other thread on here..:mad: :waytogo:

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
ROOF RACK? On a TRUCK? Good Lord. Your post title says "Roof Rack?"
If that's your question, my answer is no. If you have a soft bed cover, roll it up and mount bike racks or whatever in the bed. If it's a hard cover, mount a rack on the cover. That's like back in the day when we used to put camper shells on our trucks, cut out the back wall, and mount a back seat in the bed. I still can't figure out why we did that.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Goodness gracious. It's just a rack. People need to chill out. I put one on mine because it was wasting space in my house. It's not that functional, but I have used it a few times. It's not everybody's cup of tea, but I love the way it looks.

·
Registered
960 Posts
There is No fit by Thule (or any other company) for the 1st gen Tacomas other than Double Cabs.

What you CAN do but isnt very common is use a Thule Track system and a Tracker II Footpack. Youll need to drill the tracks into the roof and use a plus nut to secure it so that you dont have to run bolts through the headliner.

I was actually just discussing this with my Thule Rep today.

If you want more info on the Tracker system let me know.

I am interested in How xradchadx fit one on his what appears to a 96 Taco. If Thule couldnt create a fit kit Personally I wouldnt trust it with a load on it. Ive seen way too many loads and roof racks rip off of cars.

·
Registered
6,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
There is No fit by Thule (or any other company) for the 1st gen Tacomas other than Double Cabs.

What you CAN do but isnt very common is use a Thule Track system and a Tracker II Footpack. Youll need to drill the tracks into the roof and use a plus nut to secure it so that you dont have to run bolts through the headliner.

I was actually just discussing this with my Thule Rep today.

If you want more info on the Tracker system let me know.

I am interested in How xradchadx fit one on his what appears to a 96 Taco. If Thule couldnt create a fit kit Personally I wouldnt trust it with a load on it. Ive seen way too many loads and roof racks rip off of cars.
Thank you Cj!
all I needed to know...if it's not a fit designed for my truck..I am not going to do that.

I'm not going to compromise my $400 snowboard equipment nor another persons...let alone my $1000 bike on a rack that is jerry rigged.

End of thread

·
Registered
960 Posts
The Track system will work if you decide you actually want a rack. Its just not done that often. The tracks are usually used on Camper Shells.

You could also do this track system on top of your bed cover (assuming its a hard cover, i recall it was though). The rack is really fast to remove and only leaves the tracks. Might make hauling your gear easier and would look good. Might be a good option for you to keep stuff organized and not just thrown in the bed to get beat up. I would seriously consider this If I were you.

We were discussing this with a customer today because there was no fit for his ford. Its weird how little things change and mess up the rack fitments. His truck was one of 2 years out of 15 years made where the model has was no fit.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts