Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ran the XR at Road America for a track day with the March of Dimes benefit!

I got 18 laps with the XR and another 21 as a driver instructor...

Here is my rundown:

Turn 1) 3rd gear, run it up to the rev limiter going into turn 3...

Turn 3), drop to 2nd gear, before you even get out of the corner you will hit the rev limiter, oh well, it sets you up better for the exit out of turn 3, run up the gears, again 6th gear is useless unless cruising on the highway, so 5th gear, max out at 115 mph going into turn 5...

Turn 5) do whatever you can to get thru this corner, slow the truck down to 2nd gear, exit and climb the hill to the Toyota bridge in 3rd gear...

Turn 6) tap the brakes, remain in 3rd gear and make the corner, after you exit turn 6, lane shift to set-up for turn 7...

Turn 7) 3rd gear, no need to lift or tap brakes, just make the turn as smooth as you can and use all of the course, exit turn 7 to Hurry Downs, a quick shift to 4th gear but heavy on the brakes into turn 8...

Turn 8) drop to 3rd and to 2nd gear under heavy braking and make the turn...

Turn 9) going into the Carousel from turn 8, shift up to 3rd gear, pick the middle of the track and hold the steering wheel in position around the Carousel slowly increasing speed, I tend to start to drift to the right side of the course preparing for turn 10...

Turn 10) as soon as I see the apex, I punch the throttle and exit turn 10 going to 4th gear...

Turn 11) The Kink, the fastest corner for the truck, 4th gear, no lifting and no brakes, exit turn 11 into Kettle Bottoms, shift up to 5th gear and top out at 120 mph going into Canada Corner...

Turn 12) heavy brakes, downshift to 2nd gear and make the turn...

Turn 13) shift up to 3rd and make the small apex to set up turn 13A under the bridge...

Turn 13A) full throttle in 3rd gear and dive into the apex which is right under the bridge and use all the course when exiting the turn to continue to maximize throttle, you can shift to 4th gear...

Turn 14) downshift to 2nd, it will be short lived and you will hit the rev limiter in the middle of the turn but you will exit the turn in better shape than trying to catch up to the gear, enter the front straighteway, the hill bogs the truck down, so only 5th gear and about 110mph going into turn 1 and start all over...

This truck is freaken awesome on road courses and I once again fooled many people into thinking I had a Tundra V-8, they just could not believe this truck has only a 6 cylinder...

This truck is fast but not no drag racer, BMW M3's and Porsche 911's would fly by on the straights as expected...

But you have to be smooth and pick your lines on Road America, less experienced Porsche 911 drivers could not keep up with me in the turns and I passed a few on the straights...

I spend more time autocrossing my truck but the more I run road courses, the more I believe this truck is made for road courses than drag racing yet can be competitive autocrossing, in fact a few days later I ran the last event for Milwaukee Region SCCA and I finished 2nd place out of 31 in the rear-drive street tire class claiming 2nd place for the season points!

Peter Cunningham was the chief driver instructor for the event!

My XR is stock except the K+N filter, Banks exhaust, negative 1.6 degree front camber and BFG KDW G-Force 2's on 18X8 ASA wheels, thats it folks and it can still ran solid on Road America!

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wepps03Coma said:
Glad to see smoeone knows how to really drive a sport truck. There's more to racing than going straight
I just cannot believe the people who buy this truck and think it is fast drag racing...

It is a fast truck but it is fast at taking corners...

I autocrossed against a Ford SVT Lightening at a Nascar 1/4 mile track and he would beat the daylights out of my XR off the line and into Nascar turns 3 and 4 which were wide open but I ran my lines and was smoother into the gates and slalom where he tried to use that big V-8 to make up for his lack of nimbleness in the gates and slalom and just squealed his tires and I beat him by 1 second on raw time...

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Korova said:
Excellent work, man. Way to get out there and show everyone just what the XR is capable of. :waytogo:
You just have to believe in the trucks capabilities is all!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts