Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I added a double din to my truck a while back and finally got around to installing the reverse camera. My pioneer unit has a wire for a reverse signal input. Now, I know I could hook that wire up to the tail lights and get what I need, but would rather not spend more time under the truck routing wire. Is there a reverse signal anywhere in the dash that I could tap into? My truck is a manual transmission 96 with the 2RZ.

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
The closest wire you can get to that I can think of (off the top of my head) is probably the reverse switch on the side of the trans.

Edit: But you can also just wire in a switch to a 12v power source so you can turn the camera on at any time. It's a good idea if you ever pull/tow anything or wanna see if someone is too close in traffic, lol

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,564 Posts
Here (attached) is an illustration of the 2RZ reverse / back-up switch location on the transmission (top figure).

Attachments

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,564 Posts
The closest wire you can get to that I can think of (off the top of my head) is probably the reverse switch on the side of the trans. ...
Agreed ... On a '96 manual Taco the only thing signaling the back-up lamps is the reverse switch on the tranny.

The same goes for a 2003 (Matos Taco is swapping an '03 cluster into his '96) with a manual.

Since there's no back-up switch on the manual shifter there's nothing inside the cab you can use to signal activation of the reverse lamp circuit.

I don't see any option other than tying into the reverse switch on the transmission.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Agreed ... On a '96 manual Taco the only thing signaling the back-up lamps is the reverse switch on the tranny.

The same goes for a 2003 (Matos Taco is swapping an '03 cluster into his '96) with a manual.

Since there's no back-up switch on the manual shifter there's nothing inside the cab you can use to signal activation of the reverse lamp circuit.

I don't see any option other than tying into the reverse switch on the transmission.
So I did some digging and found that there is a reverse signal inside the cab. Believe it or not, that reverse signal from the trans runs into the truck, up into the dash and then back out to the tail lights. If you take out the door sill cover on the driver's side, there is a wiring harness there. One of the wires is red with a black line, and it contains the reverse signal. I verified this by shifting in and out of reverse while watching a voltmeter connected to the wire. I tapped into this and my camera worked perfectly. By the way, my pioneer camera is powered separately and the reverse signal is actually just fed to the radio so the radio knows to trigger it when I shift into reverse. It has the option to leave the camera on all the time if I want to, regardless of gear selection. I filmed the entire process and will be posting the how to video once I edit it.

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,564 Posts
I apologize for not being clear ... I meant there was no switch or signaling device inside the cab that you could directly tap into.

You're right - it'll work if you tap into the line from the tranny-mounted reverse switch at some location closer than the transmission underneath.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I used a pink wire under the drivers seat (don't quote me on color but it is under the drivers seat.)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts