Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tired of the wimpy plastic bumper on my 2010 Taco, and after a recent mishap it has now fallen off of the truck.

Was wondering if anyone has gone to a scrapyard and found a sold steel front bumper off an older vehicle that would fit without a lot of modding?

(My budget is 100 bucks or less, I can't afford one of the custom off-road bolt-ons right now, so scrap yard is my only option)

Want something solid that can take some punishment, possibly from a 90's or earlier truck of some kind.

Anyone done this?

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,881 Posts
Whatever the options may be, they don't include any Toyota Pickup or Tacoma made before 2005. These older pickups were narrower.

Oddly enough, the alternative Toyota model closest in width to a 2005+ Taco is the T100.

However, I don't recall anyone looking into such a bumper swap.

I also don't recall anyone doing a successful OEM bumper transplant onto a 2005+ Tacoma - at any price.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking perhaps an older GMC or Jeep etc... something with a slab of actual steel for a bumper, and finding a way to bolt it on, or making an adapter if necessary.

Seems that with all the older cars out there, something has to have some dimensions that would work.

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,881 Posts
How ugly a heavier-duty bumper are you willing to accept?

Is this for off-roading?

Do you have the ability to do some fabrication (welding, etc.) on your own?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Uglier than a polished turd is acceptable. This is for on and off road, I just don't care what people think of the truck. :)

I can cut some material and rivet or braze. Don't have a welding setup at present.

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,881 Posts
I suppose the most straightforward approach would be to build a basic old school tube bumper and mount it to the horizontal "Front Bumper Reinforcement Sub-Assembly" piece behind the Front Bumper Cover.*

* The visible plastic-ish thing that looks like a bumper.

Whether or not you might be able to do this within a $100 budget is something I don't know.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Save your money and save more. And then, ask help from a local fab shop for a custom bumper.
You're talking to a guy who has a piece of lexan as a replacement rear window panel drilled in to the trim with sheet metal screws. If I had custom fabrication money I'd keep it in the bank. I'm just looking for ugly, cheap and functional.

So looking for a good, old steel bumper off some car or truck. Failing that, like a poster said above, I might just weld together a pipe bumper. 100 bucks is all this is worth to me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts