Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With no small amount of help from numerous customtacos.com threads, I finally completed installing an Avital remote starter in my 2006 4dr Tacoma. I should first thank all of you for posts and threads. I could have never done it without you, and I learned A LOT.

But now, I have the "brain" (which also includes the security bypass module) all tidied up into a small black box about 4" x 6" x 3". Currently the box is sitting (dangerously) at my feet on the floor, and I need to mount it somewhere.

Has anyone been through this? Where and how is the best way to mount a brain box like this under the console? I've searched, but not found anything dealing with this in detail.

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,615 Posts
(1) Welcome to CT! :waytogo:

(2) Are you limited by wiring length (e.g., a harness), or could you put it most anywhere?

(3) Is the remote starter antenna / sensor in the black box? (Do you have to mount it somewhere where it would reasonably pick up a signal?)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I mounted mine inside the panel on the left side of the driver side on the floor, it pops off and there is space behind it.
I'm not sure there is enough space for my brain box inside the panel you speak of. I will certainly try.

If it comes down to it, I suppose I could extricate the remote starter computer and the bypass module from the tidy box I placed them in, and stuff them independently behind that panel to get the job done. But I was hoping to mount the box some way, somehow.

Thanks for the reply.

Any one else with suggestions? Experience with this?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
(1) Welcome to CT! :waytogo:

(2) Are you limited by wiring length (e.g., a harness), or could you put it most anywhere?

(3) Is the remote starter antenna / sensor in the black box? (Do you have to mount it somewhere where it would reasonably pick up a signal?)
Thanks!

I am a little bit limited by wire length. It's going to have to go somewhere in the driver's side area.

The antenna/sensor is threaded from the brain box, up through the windshield column, and fastened inside. With exception of wire length, where and how the brain is mounted will not pose an issue to the antenna/sensor.

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,615 Posts
You may need to 'unpack' the box. 4" X 6" X 3" isn't all that small ... :thinking:

How big is the Avital controller unit by itself?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You may need to 'unpack' the box. 4" X 6" X 3" isn't all that small ... :thinking:

How big is the Avital controller unit by itself?
The controller unit is about 3" x 5" x 1.5".

The bypass module is about... well, it would fit inside a hockey puck, if that gives you an idea. It's the XPALL model.

If I unpack the box, I could probably find a home for them inside the lower left panel @tacomatic1 spoke of.

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,615 Posts
The 1.5" thickness sounds a lot more workable than a 3" thickness.

You might check in behind the lower center dash panel to see if there's enough space there ...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts