Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
14,486 Posts
the redline on the gauge is 5500rpm's.. however the rev limites is closer to 5795 :waytogo: however i shift on speed vs rpm mostly when racing etc.. about 26mph in 1st you better be ready to shift because revlimiter is about 32 in 2nd its at 56 and in 3rd its at 91.. and 4th.. well you most likely hit speed limiter first.. but if you are able to go past it via urd or other ghetto means its at about 115 or 120:waytogo:

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh b/c when i just got the safc2 installed and when i get up around 3800 rpm it sounds like it wants to blow up

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i just took my tacoma for a ride and it maxed out at 3794rpm's but i shifted i havent it the rev imiter yet cuz it dont sound all that good

·
Registered
8,276 Posts
akn1130 said:
i just took my tacoma for a ride and it maxed out at 3794rpm's but i shifted i havent it the rev imiter yet cuz it dont sound all that good
NO WAY is 3800 rpm !

Chris, you were talking about shifting at 26 mph....I'm assuming, you have a different final gear ratio, let's clarify that.
On my stock 2.4, I can shift from 1st into 2nd at most around 20 mph (but I don't have the gauge)....so I don't know where I'm at....but it sounds pretty loud...:D
I could shift into 3rd at MOST around 39-40 (and it sound like is about to blow)...then from 3rd to 4th at around 55-58 the most (again, if I do that, it sounds like is gonna blow on me)...then the 4th gear-I can pull it all the way up to 80 mph before shifting into 5th.
That's how hard I can pull on mine...and unless you modify your final gear ratio with a longer one, every 2RZ are the same (M/T that is)...Auto's are a whole different story.

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
Alex B. said:
NO WAY is 3800 rpm !

Chris, you were talking about shifting at 26 mph....I'm assuming, you have a different final gear ratio, let's clarify that.
On my stock 2.4, I can shift from 1st into 2nd at most around 20 mph (but I don't have the gauge)....so I don't know where I'm at....but it sounds pretty loud...:D
I could shift into 3rd at MOST around 39-40 (and it sound like is about to blow)...then from 3rd to 4th at around 55-58 the most (again, if I do that, it sounds like is gonna blow on me)...then the 4th gear-I can pull it all the way up to 80 mph before shifting into 5th.
That's how hard I can pull on mine...and unless you modify your final gear ratio with a longer one, every 2RZ are the same (M/T that is)...Auto's are a whole different story.
I think you should get an aftermarket tach, you're probably shifting around 4-4500 RPM....

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
Maximum safe shifting speed out of first for my 2.4L is 29 MPH according to the manual and my own findings.

·
Registered
8,276 Posts
Greg_Canada said:
I think you should get an aftermarket tach, you're probably shifting around 4-4500 RPM....
NO WAY Greg ! I've driven MANY other cars. I can tell (approximately) where I'm at when I shift....4000-4500 sounds too low to me...:thinking:

·
Registered
200 Posts
hmmm, no tach here, but i run 1st gear out to about 28mphish, and it doesnt sound like its gonna tear itself apart.

·
Registered
200 Posts
ok, let me restate a bit, the motor doesnt SOUND like its gonna blow, but it sure does punish me for pushing it so hard by smacking me with my own shifter :lol:

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
my truck seems to redline at 5900 according to my autometer tach. has anybody tried raising the rev limit? i think 2rz's can handle 7k easily

·
boats and hoes
706 Posts
well the red line is set at 5500 rpm cause the springs valves and cams arnt set up to beable to provide any decent amount of power after 5500 rpm the engine it self is extreamly well balenced and able to hit 8000 rpm if you were to modify thy cylinder head for a better flow, stiffer springs ( to keep valve float from occuring), porting 1mm intake and 2mm exhaust, and getting cams that were made to provide the power band way higher up in the rpm range and i usually shift at about 30, 60, 90, then the speed limiter hits at 105.

and 5900 is what my stock tach read once or twice

hope this helps

·
Registered
8,276 Posts
I hardly doubt it you could raise the rpm to 8K. It has't been done yet. That doesn't mean it cannot be done, but like I said, I doubt it.
The most I've heard was 7500 (Brendan from PSI Racing)...and yes, the valves start to float above 5500....stock.
As far as shifting into second at 28 mph. You guys don't really tell it all ! You either drive a Auto's (not a M/T)...or have longer final gear ratio. That it IMPOSSIBLE to shift that high. Let alone be 3rd at 90...:looney: ....
Fridaddy, why don't you tell those peps that you replace your final gear...?

·
YEP... I'MMA DOUCH3
10,933 Posts
Alex... I run 1st to about 25mph, mainly because first gear is useless in my truck... 2nd goes to 57ish, 3rd goes to 85ish, 4th goes 118ish (via the dyno) however I used a GPS system to get 123~ in 4th, and max of 145 in 5th, although my friend says it was faster... GPS doesn't lie...

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Alex B. said:
I hardly doubt it you could raise the rpm to 8K. It has't been done yet. That doesn't mean it cannot be done, but like I said, I doubt it.
The most I've heard was 7500 (Brendan from PSI Racing)...and yes, the valves start to float above 5500....stock.
As far as shifting into second at 28 mph. You guys don't really tell it all ! You either drive a Auto's (not a M/T)...or have longer final gear ratio. That it IMPOSSIBLE to shift that high. Let alone be 3rd at 90...:looney: ....
Fridaddy, why don't you tell those peps that you replace your final gear...?
you forget about tire size. my truck runs to about 29 in first, 58-59 in second and around 90 in third. but that is on my dash and my tire size is a 225/45/17 so my real speeds would be lower. i run around 3300 in 5th to do 75 mph but the dahs read 82. i know all this because i have a rev/speed meter in my truck that has a tach and speedometer read out. this is with a 5 speed and stock 3.58 gears of course.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts