Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
I think common sense overpowered the driver.:doah: This was not a split second occurance, it happened over a few minutes. I am wondering why in that time none of the four thought of putting the car in neutral? Or any other solution?:shrug: Or when approaching the intersection, honking the horn? I guess we'll never really know.....

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I think common sense overpowered the driver.:doah: This was not a split second occurance, it happened over a few minutes. I am wondering why in that time none of the four thought of putting the car in neutral? Or any other solution?:shrug: Or when approaching the intersection, honking the horn? I guess we'll never really know.....
just another reason for a law suit....

·
Registered
14,370 Posts

And non of the other three people in the car suggested such a thing either......

·
[]D [] []D
22,705 Posts
and if you read the article toyota even said if you hold the power "button" for three seconds then the engine will shut off
IMO this is the worst thing you could do with a car you're trying to stop that uses power brakes and power steering. Once the engine goes off, good luck getting the car to stop and steering it safely.

Neutral is by far the best option whenever you have problems.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Power brakes have a reserve and at 120, power steering is not really neccessary......

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Ihave the carpet mats and their held down also. Don't see how that would happen
probably comes from people pushing themselves back into the seat to re-adjust their position in the seat, and insted of pusing on the DEADPEDAL, they push off on the carpet and rear the little hooks out. mine have never shifted, and i am not removing it untill toyota issues a fix of new floormats. like he!! if i am letting my carpet get dirty

·
Registered
472 Posts
Smart key and 3 seconds (which I never knew or thought about until the article) aside Neutral seems like an easy option.
However the trans on the Lexus is simular to my 2009 Camry in that it is electronic controlled.
If I try to use the sequential function and the computer doesn't like the speed I'm going it won't downshift it just beeps at me.
Maybe, just maybe it won't let me shift to neutral at full throttle either?
I'm not going to try it with my new car but could it be a possibility?

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Looks like they're proposing that to NHTSA. There don't seem to be any details on what this would involve ....

TOKYO, Nov 14 (Reuters) - Toyota Motor Corp (7203.T) will soon offer to fix the accelerator pedals of up to 4 million vehicles in the United States that are subject to the company's largest ever safety recall, Kyodo News reported on Saturday.

Toyota is believed to have agreed with U.S. authorities to voluntarily repair the accelerator pedals, Kyodo said, citing sources familiar with the matter. It was unclear what the fix would involve.

Toyota spokesman Hideaki Honma denied that the company had reached an agreement with the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) on the matter, and said the talks were proceeding.

NHTSA in Washington said on Saturday that discussions with Toyota continue "as to what the remedy will entail" and that the accelerator pedal is "among the subjects under consideration."

·
Registered
6,006 Posts
Has anybody got a notice in the mail from Toyota Corporate?

My dad got one a few days ago..he didn't buy his truck new nor from a dealership..but I guess there going off VIN's..via DMV's system..as it has his VIN in the letter..and his full name and everything.

I guess there working on a solution currently, and for now they said "to remove any floor mats that are in the vehicle on drivers side"
and somethin about "If you decide to keep them, make sure they are locked in place and not stacked on top of each other"

or something idk:shrug:

·
Registered
32 Posts
I got a letter last nite. I've owned my truck since new in 05 and worked for Toyota since 03,I never had the mats slide up as long as the 2 clips are in
place. I own a total of 5 toyota's some with carpet mats, some with all weathers and as far as Im conserned the mats are staying in..

·
Registered
5 Posts
We just bought a used 2005 toyota tacoma 2.7l. When it was my turn to drive the truck home I noticed that the floor mat creeped up to the front of the floor and the rings didn't hold it in place. I told my dad about the floor mat situation and we took it out the drivers side floor mat. Can we get the floor mat replaced at the dealership? I want to get rubber floor mats, where do you guys buy them at? Also, I noticed that the rings, or clips were loose and that's probably why it was able to creep up.

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
We just bought a used 2005 toyota tacoma 2.7l. When it was my turn to drive the truck home I noticed that the floor mat creeped up to the front of the floor and the rings didn't hold it in place. I told my dad about the floor mat situation and we took it out the drivers side floor mat. Can we get the floor mat replaced at the dealership? I want to get rubber floor mats, where do you guys buy them at? Also, I noticed that the rings, or clips were loose and that's probably why it was able to creep up.
Matt:

The main problem seems to be the mats not staying 'anchored' like they're supposed to with the OEM connectors.

I'm not 100% clear about how Toyota is handling this on a case-by-case basis. It wouldn't hurt to contact your preferred dealership and ask - if only to let them know there's a new owner in their 'territory'.

Do you want 'flat mats' or 'contoured liners'? Personally, I prefer the contoured liners because they will hold mud and slop (and thus protect the carpeting better). The most popular liners are offered by WeatherTech, Nifty, and Husky.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts