Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New recall being issued. Front driver-side floor mats are blamed for jamming accelerator ...

Feds Recall Lexus, Toyota Floor Mats Due To Potential For Fiery Death
By Ray Wert, 4:15 PM on Tue Sep 29 2009, 3,758 views
The U.S. Government warns 3.8 million Toyota and Lexus owners affected by an urgent recall to "immediately remove driver's side floor mats" after one was suspected of causing a fiery Lexus crash killing a family of four in San Diego.

Toyota says it will order an immediate floor mat recall at the behest of the Department of Transportation after a mat was suspected of snagging a gas pedal on a runaway Lexus, ending with a fiery crash that killed four family members in San Diego. The Toyota and Lexus models affected include:

2007-10 Camry
2005-10 Avalon
2004-09 Prius
2005-10 Tacoma
2007-10 Tundra
2007-10 ES 350
2006-10 IS 250 and IS350
Toyota says it will recall 3.8 million vehicles in the United States to address problems with a removable floor mat that could interfere with the vehicle's accelerator and cause a crash. The company says it will be the largest U.S. recall in its history. Owners could learn about the safety campaign as early as next week.

Toyota and the government warned owners of Toyota and Lexus vehicles about safety problems tied to the removable floor mats. They say the mats could interfere with the vehicle's accelerator and cause a crash.

The recall will affect 2007-2010 model year Toyota Camry, 2005-2010 Toyota Avalon, 2004-2009 Toyota Prius, 2005-2010 Tacoma, 2007-2010 Toyota Tundra, 2007-2010 Lexus ES350 and 2006-2010 Lexus IS250 and IS350.

Owners should take out the floor mats on the driver's side and not replace them.

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
More info ...

Toyota to recall 3.8M vehicles over floor mats

By KEN THOMAS Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Toyota Motor Corp. said Tuesday it will recall 3.8 million vehicles in the United States, the company's largest-ever U.S. recall, to address problems with a removable floor mat that could cause accelerators to get stuck and lead to a crash. The recall will involve popular models such as the Toyota Camry, the top-selling passenger car in America, and the Toyota Prius, the best-selling gas-electric hybrid.

Toyota said it was still working with officials with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration to find a remedy to fix the problem and said owners could be notified about the recall as early as next week. Toyota spokesman Irv Miller said until the company finds a fix, owners should take out the removable floor mat on the driver's side and not replace it.

"A stuck open accelerator pedal may result in very high vehicle speeds and make it difficult to stop a vehicle, which could cause a crash, serious injury or death," Miller said.

NHTSA said it had received reports of 102 incidents in which the accelerator may have become stuck on the Toyota vehicles involved. It was unclear how many led to crashes but the inquiry was prompted by a highspeed crash in August in California of a Lexus barreling out of control. As the vehicle hit speeds exceeding 120 mph, family members made a frantic 911 call and said the accelerator was stuck and they couldn't stop the vehicle.

"This is an urgent matter," Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood said in a statement. "For everyone's sake, we strongly urge owners of these vehicles to remove mats or other obstacles that could lead to unintended acceleration."

The recall will affect 2007-2010 model year Toyota Camry, 2005-2010 Toyota Avalon, 2004-2009 Toyota Prius, 2005-2010 Tacoma, 2007-2010 Toyota Tundra, 2007-2010 Lexus ES350 and 2006-2010 Lexus IS250 and IS350.

Toyota's previously largest U.S. recall was about 900,000 vehicles in 2005 to fix a steering issue. The company declined to say how many complaints it had received about the accelerator issue.

The Japanese automaker warned owners that if they think their vehicle is accelerating out of control, they should check to see whether their floor mat is under the pedal. If a driver can't remove the floor mat, Toyota advises drivers to step on the brake pedal with both feet until the vehicle slows and then try to put it into neutral and switch the ignition to accessory power.

For vehicles with engine start/stop buttons, Toyota said the engine can be shut off by holding the button down for three seconds.

In the August incident near San Diego, the fiery crash of a 2009 Lexus ES 350 killed California Highway Patrol Officer Mark Saylor, 45, and three others on State Route 125 in Santee. The runaway car was traveling at more than 120 mph when it hit a sport utility vehicle, launched off an embankment, rolled several times and burst into flames. One of the family members called police about a minute before the crash to report the vehicle had no brakes and the accelerator was stuck. The call ended with someone telling people in the car to hold on and pray, followed by a woman's scream.

NHTSA investigators determined that a rubber all-weather floor mat found in the wreckage was slightly longer than the mat that belonged in the vehicle, something that could have snared or covered the accelerator pedal.

Toyota spokesman John Hanson said the final report had not yet been submitted in the California case.

"We don't know what the actual cause was of that accident other than preliminary reports that have been published so it's impossible for us to comment on that particular incident," Hanson said.

In mid-September, Toyota ordered 1,400 Toyota and Lexus dealers nationwide to ensure that each new, used and loaner vehicles had the proper floor mats and that the mats were properly secured.

In September 2007, Toyota recalled an accessory all-weather floor mat sold for use in some 2007 and 2008 model year Lexus ES 350 and Toyota Camry vehicles because of similar problems.

For more information, consumers can contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's hotline at (888) 327-4236, Toyota at (800) 331-4331 or Lexus at (800) 255-3987.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
So is this a recall on the carpeted floor mat or just the rubber all weather ones? The factory carpeted one in my truck has locking hooks to keep it from moving so I don't see how it would bunch at the accelerator pedal:shrug:

·
Premium Member
656 Posts
It happened to me. I posted the story a year ago or so

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I was just reading about this, and that crazy Lexus crash in San Diego. Would the brakes not tsop the car, even doing over 100 mph? It seems weird to me that the driver could not stop the car.

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
if you are qualified to drive a vehicle then the first thing you should do is put the vehicle in neutral (regardless of being a standard or automatic) and apply firm brake pressure to stop the vehicle, then if the accelerator is "actually" stuck then let the damn thing rev until it blows up, or you get the key turned off or to the acc. position, all while trying to get out of the car a.s.a.p., some people shouldnt be allowed to have driver's licenses:selfbonk::doah:

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was just reading about this, and that crazy Lexus crash in San Diego. Would the brakes not tsop the car, even doing over 100 mph? It seems weird to me that the driver could not stop the car.
It's even stranger when you consider the driver was a CHP officer. The Lexus was a loaner given him while his own car was being serviced.

For anyone unfamiliar with the story, here's a reasonably complete account:

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2009/aug/31/bn31chp-lexus-crash/

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
goes to show you that even cops arent the best of driver's and cant think on their feet when they really need to

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I had a car that the throttle stuck open on, I just shoved the clutch it and it bounced off the rev limiter while I coasted off the side of the road and was able to shut the car off.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Yeah somethings not right about that accident. I drive that piece of freeway 2 times a day. He could have stopped im sure. And in a Lexus he could have taken the 52 on-ramp at 100mph, I have taken it at 80 in my lifted taco with no problems. Would have put him onto a whole new stretch of freeway to figure stuff out on.
\
Even my friends that are SDPD say theres something fishy.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I heard the 911 phone call, it is pretty damn sad, but the driver (officer) seems really calm the whole time, just describing where he is and such. Maybe he tried the brakes, neutral, taking out the keyless key (button) and still couldn't stop it. I always though brakes overpower the throttle no matter what, is that so? Maybe twas a drive by wire problem?

·
Registered
6,006 Posts
This problem has been around for hella years..not the first one to happen in a Toyota.

It's happened in my truck once or twice...alone..luckily I have a 5 speed and I was able to push the clutch in and just let it bounce off the limiter for a few seconds till I could safely stop and shut the engine off without locking up the steering wheel and losing control...

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
its a floor mat? what happened to this country? just take the damn thing out???:looney: or like it was stated put it neutral, my eclipse throttle used to stick all the time, just hit the clutch

·
Bill Gates Mod
910 Posts
Another reason not to buy an 05+ Taco:doah:Thats some serious sh*t:eyecrazy:
If a floor mat is so intimidating that it keeps you from buying a new vehicle, then we might need to reconsider driving all together.

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
If a floor mat is so intimidating that it keeps you from buying a new vehicle, then we might need to reconsider driving all together.
x2

stupid five character minimum

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
I understand he couldnt 'shut the engine off' since Lexus have the push button ignition.

The obvious first reactions I would think any grown man would perform would be;
*Droping the car into neutral
*Using the 'slap stick' feature and dropping the gears.
*Applying the E-Brake slowly
*Applying the brakes PERIOD!

:shrug:

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
I understand he couldnt 'shut the engine off' since Lexus have the push button ignition.

The obvious first reactions I would think any grown man would perform would be;
*Droping the car into neutral
*Using the 'slap stick' feature and dropping the gears.
*Applying the E-Brake slowly
*Applying the brakes PERIOD!

:shrug:
and if you read the article toyota even said if you hold the power "button" for three seconds then the engine will shut off

1 - 20 of 38 Posts