Toyota Tacoma Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have read many threads here but all seem a bit different then my situation. My truck is an 04 prerunner with the v6, auto trans and 275,000 miles. So lately I've noticed a clunk when break checking hard. If I hold the break on when breaking there's no noise. If I'm going slowly and hit the breaks no noise. No noise on hard acceleration either. It makes the same noise in every gear and with the rear locker engaged. A friend stood by the car (both sides) and said the sound is definitely coming from the rear area of the truck and possible just the right side (but that might be because the gas tank may be blocking sound on the left side. )I checked the drive shaft u joints and greased them well with no change. The u joints in the shaft seem to be ok and I can't feel any play but I'm no expert on that. This only happens on a hard break check (hard on and off fast). I checked the break pads, leaf springs and clamps, shock mounts etc and can't find anything loose or broken. I haven't changed the rear end oil in over 100,000 miles and am planing on doing that first but would very much appreciate any other tips on possible sources for this issue. I did in the past have a bad carrier bearing and the rear shaft fell out while driving slowly. The rear shaft was replaced but I can't remember if the the u joints were also but that was long before this noise started so not sure if it's related but was wondering if it could have damaged the part going into the rear end and it is only now failing. One last though. It does make a similar clunk when the rear locker disengages. Nothing when engaging but when it turns off and the light goes out it makes a similar yet higher pitched cluck. Could it be that? Someone else suggested it might be the spider gears in the rear end. So any help with this would be greatly appreciated and thank you in advance. Cheers, William

rear end noise, rear end clunk,

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Solved. It was the brackets on my air bags... something I forgot to mention was part of the equation.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts