Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 01 3.4l spent 7 years in MN. E-brake is long since not working...its actually disconnected altogether so I dont accidentally pull it and get it locked on again. Did front rotors 8 years ago..very happy with the high end pads I bought as I still havent had to do brake work!

?= rear drums were adjusted back then, but they rusted on to hubs. How much to rebuild rear brakes? New drums, pads, cylinderz....and how much to put new emergency lines in?

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,864 Posts
I don't have anything to offer on cost estimates - sorry ...

If the e-brake mechanisms at the front and rear ends are still in workable shape you're only looking at replacing the cable (cables?).

·
ADMlNAHATER
8,739 Posts
My 01 3.4l spent 7 years in MN. E-brake is long since not working...its actually disconnected altogether so I dont accidentally pull it and get it locked on again. Did front rotors 8 years ago..very happy with the high end pads I bought as I still havent had to do brake work!

?= rear drums were adjusted back then, but they rusted on to hubs. How much to rebuild rear brakes? New drums, pads, cylinderz....and how much to put new emergency lines in?
Parking brake cables average around $130 a set..
Only get OEM if you plan on keeping it around for a while..
The aftermarket cables are kind of crappy..

Is the truck an auto or manual trans? If Auto, I wouldn't worry too much about the parking brake..

A wire wheel will make quick work of the hub/drum surface, if that doesn't work, hit it with some PB blaster, worst case, hit it with a heat wrench..
You can usually use 2 10mm bolts to tighten into the drum to push it outwards..

What part of Minnesota were you in?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Parking brake cables average around $130 a set..
Only get OEM if you plan on keeping it around for a while..
The aftermarket cables are kind of crappy..

Is the truck an auto or manual trans? If Auto, I wouldn't worry too much about the parking brake..

A wire wheel will make quick work of the hub/drum surface, if that doesn't work, hit it with some PB blaster, worst case, hit it with a heat wrench..
You can usually use 2 10mm bolts to tighten into the drum to push it outwards..

What part of Minnesota were you in?
Hey, thanks for the info! still haven't done anything with the e-brake, or the rear brakes. I put ceramic pads on the front about 20k miles age my Tacoma... hate that I put it through seven winters in MN. I lived in Rice, MN which you may know is right outside of St. Cloud... I did not enjoy living in a college town while I was just OVER college (30-37). ugh.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts