Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I have seen alot of threads with a similar issue but cant seem to find one with the answer. Just got my buddys 95 Taco, and since i met him its had this random "skip". I dont want to call it a misfire because it dosn't act like its just one cylinder, more like the whole ignition sytem hiccups. He had been chasing this thing for like two years, replaced plugs, wires, rotor, cap, coil, everything but the dizzy itself. No change. I always do my own work unless its way out of my scope. I'm an aircraft mechanic and have been wrenching on stuff since i could walk (thanks dad) so im pretty competant. The last thing i want to do is take it to some shop so some guy can charge me loads of cash to go over everything i already did. SO, any ideas? Thank you!!

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,881 Posts
Have you checked for a bad connection or short inside the distributor itself? The majority of pesky distributor problems I've dealt with usually end up being a subtle electrical fault within the distributor unit.

·
Waxed to Perfection
5,658 Posts
From the positive battery cable, you will see a smaller additional wire that goes to the relay box mounted on the inner fender. Check that wire for corrosion, in fact just replace it. Probably way over due. This small wire feeds electricity to all of the relays including the fuel pump relay and other "needed" components for runnabilty.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have not fully dissected the diz yet Enola, but i was thinking that would be next. Glassdoc, as it happens i noticed the other day the wire you speak of was a bit loose....That will be first in the morning. I love this truck so i want to resolve this thing. Its like a ships wheel for a belt-buckle, it's drivin' me nuts!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So i snugged up the power wire to the relay/fuse box, no good. I removed the distributor (after taking note of its position and taking pictures) and dimantled it. All looks well with the exception of the condenser, which i wiggled the wire and it promptly fell off. I removed it and found the wax-like filling had mostley melted and run out. Just got a new one, looks much higher in quality so we'll see.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No dice. damn. I am finding things that need fixed, on the bright side.

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,881 Posts
Well, crap ... :doah:

Something like that dying condenser you found was what I suspected to be the root problem ...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know man i was hoping too. Well i think i can rule out the diz. Maybe a chaffed wire somewhere, i need to run it tonight in the dark and look for stray fire.

·
Registered
758 Posts
...and you have no stored engine codes at all?
since we're just stabbing in the dark here ..make sure the igniter box is bolted securely (the actual housing needs to be grounded to the passenger inner fenderwell)
as well as making sure the engine grounds are tight..especially the ECU ground which is near the throttle body (I think)
Good luck

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,881 Posts
You mentioned that you'd checked the coil ...

Which coil? The ignition coil? The pickup coil (signal generator)?

The signal generator coil thingie is one of the distributor's innards that often causes such weird phantom problems.

Here (attached) is the distributor section from the 1995.5 / 1996 FSM.

On another tangent ...

A problem with the crankshaft position sensor (and / or its electrical circuit) might explain the occasional 'everything dies' skip, but that should definitely cause one or more diagnostic codes to be thrown.

I agree with ZIP that it's odd you don't seem to be getting any codes.

Have you checked the distributor's gear drive? Could something be broken or worn out to the point that it occasionally slips / skips?

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Zip, i did check out the ignitor box, removed it, cleaned contacts and reinstalled after ensuring proper ground. The ECU ground i will have to look for. E.G. when i removed the diz i tore it down to ind. parts, and everything looks tight, dirty, but tight and secure. I cleaned everything and replaced the condensor all the gears and related stuff is fine. I wish it would throw a code! I have unplugged the MAF and TPS among others, and i get a code for that but none for the ghost. I have heard talk of having the engine "scoped". I have used an oscilloscope but it was in school for aviation troubleshooting, not sure how to use it in this situation. Do most shops have this? I'm willing to bet its some loose connection.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK, So there have been some new developements. Forget the skip for now. I talked to prev. owner and found out the engine had been changed at some point. Also, i bought a new battery because the old one wouldnt hold a charge,...I thought. Put the new batt in and same deal, i can get a jump and it will start, if i wait a while, it acts just like a dead batt. I put a meter on it, 13V. All connections are good from batt to starter, alternator, grounds are all good. WTF?? A relay? Ignition switch? Bout to go tear into it further up the line till i find a fault. God knows who put this thing in or what all they did. I know i'm posting like crazy here, thank you guys.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Disregard the last post. I dont even want to talk about it:looney::selfbonk:

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,881 Posts
Hmmmmm ... :thinking:

Let's see if I got this right ... Above and beyond the transient skip, there's a persistent something that's draining the battery when the engine isn't running - right?

If so ... That would suggest there's a short somewhere in the overall wiring. The fact that the engine's been swapped would suggest the fault might be somewhere in the engine bay. I'm thinking the short could well be in the engine bay wiring harness or the main fuse / relay box in the engine bay - maybe something that got crimped or exposed during the engine swap.

The big problem is finding which circuit or sub-circuit the short is in.

Is there anything electrical on the truck that's not working or not working as expected?

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,881 Posts
Oh, crap ... I was checking wiring diagrams while you were posting. So - is there no general battery problem? Or ... ?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No battery problem, I had a retard moment. After talking all about how i had checked everything, the ground terminal on the battery was corroded on the inside.:doah: The only issue is the skip.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I do however agree with your thoughts on a short somewhere, If located in the right spot this could cause all kinds of trouble. I'v been all over the back and bottom of the eng and trans and dont see anything yet. Do you know of a common spot this happens? HAPPY 4TH BTW EVERYBODY!!!:drinking::headbang::mudtaco:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts