Toyota Tacoma Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a question for you guys.

I have the R4 software and am fine tuning it. My truck runs like a bat out of hell, but I get some pinging under boost and low rpm (Maybe 2000RPM-3500RPM 3-8lbs of boost) and no matter what I do It still pings.

I have retarded the timing from 3 degrees to 15 degrees and it still pings. I have added fuel and taken out fuel and it still pings. Funny thing is it only pings when I am going up a hill maybe in 3rd-4th gear and want more power get into boost and get ping. If I go through the power band in a lower gear I get no ping at all and the car flys without any problems.:brickknoc

Anyone got any ideas? I checked the brand new plugs I got from URD and it seems fine. They are gapped at .043 like the instructions say.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Try gapping the plugs in the .035"-.038" range. They tend to burn wider and cause more ping under high load situations. That is what happend to mine once.....

Also make sure your fuel trims are good under load when you are getting ping.....

Also make sure to use high grade gas.....91oct, 93oct, ect..........

Make sure all your wiring connections are good. This includes the spark plug wires.....

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm having a similar problem.. Did not notice this thread before posting mine.. Are you getting any misfire codes? I'm getting several on three cylinders plus a "system too lean" code; One thing i did notice is that for some reason, i'm getting more boost.. i used to get 7 psi, now i'm at 8.5psi.. and don't have a clue what might've caused the change.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
trdtoy said:
Try gapping the plugs in the .035"-.038" range. They tend to burn wider and cause more ping under high load situations. That is what happend to mine once.....

Also make sure your fuel trims are good under load when you are getting ping.....

Also make sure to use high grade gas.....91oct, 93oct, ect..........

Make sure all your wiring connections are good. This includes the spark plug wires.....
I'll give that a shot and see if it will help. I was thinking that my plug wires from the coils to the plugs on the driver side needs to upgraded to like 8.8 mm wires, but not sure if that will help or not. I will try and gap them to .035-.036 ish and see what happens. Thanks for the advise. I did a few searches and noticed that ping / knock is fairly common with other tacos that have been Supercharged.
My plug wires and tips of my plugs are tight as that was suggested to me also. I really think it is something outside of tuning. I have plenty of fuel and it is running rich according to the wideband. I didn't try leaning it out, but I don't see how that is going to help under boost. I would like to keep it rich rather than lean.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jag101 said:
I'm having a similar problem.. Did not notice this thread before posting mine.. Are you getting any misfire codes? I'm getting several on three cylinders plus a "system too lean" code; One thing i did notice is that for some reason, i'm getting more boost.. i used to get 7 psi, now i'm at 8.5psi.. and don't have a clue what might've caused the change.
I am not getting any codes, but that is a good point I didn't check after my last run. The only guess I have for you running more boost is MAYBE, you didn't notice in higher gear Wide Open Throttle that it was boosting 8.5? Mine has always boosted 8.5. I also noticed that when tuning with the R4 software, it shows the true load (8.5lbs of boost) where sometimes my boost guage will show a lower reading.

Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Gamzek said:
I run 12.0-12.5 AFR
I can lean it out to about 12.0:1 that is not a problem to try it out. Gamzek, do you have any pinging at all? Do you happen to know where you gapped your plugs too?

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have no pinging at all and I can really feel a difference between 11.0 and 12.5 AFR. 12.5 providing more power...

As for the plugs, I am running the Iridium IK22 from URD's site, with the original gap. I think it is .35? It is close enough to not matter in my opinion. If you are not running those plugs I highly suggest you do.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts