Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright, so i need to find out what our factory head lights color temp is. are they 4000K or what? thanks for the help ahead of time.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i want to upgrade, but i want to know where we are stock, so i know, just so if i do upgrade, i dont want to pay $40 or more for something thats not that much better.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Well to upgrade would mean improve, so if you're just replacing the bulbs with a cool blue color you're really decreasing the light output. If you're thinking about an HID alternative, buying a plug-n-play kit does increase brightness. Problem is, the reflector headlights aren't meant for that bright of a bulb, so it creates a ton of glare and terrible "hot spots" on the road. So you have a brighter light, but it's not much better.. and most of the time WORSE than stock headlights. Now, if you want better light, and you're not afraid to spend some money and time, a retrofit is the only legal way to get the best possible headlight. If you want to learn more, and what it takes to do your own retro, visit http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2080

It took me a year of driving with stock dim lights to finally throw down the money for a retro.. i imagine you won't like the idea of spending this much cash for headlights. But if you want the best light output, you'll eventually cave like everyone else:silly:

·
Registered
68 Posts
xrunner2k6 said:
alright, so i need to find out what our factory head lights color temp is. are they 4000K or what? thanks for the help ahead of time.
To your original question, halogen bulbs are typically around 3000K. 2500K is getting into yellow ion territory. 4000K is getting to the blueish tint, but still alot of white. 5000-6000K is where you see more blue, with some purple tints. 5000K is considered close to daylight.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Yellow:
1500 k Candlelight
2700-2900 k Yellow painted fog halogen bulbs
-------------------------------
Yellowish white:
3200 k Sunrise/sunset
3200 k Premium H7 non painted halogen bulb
3400 k 1 hour from dusk/dawn
-------------------------------
White:
4100 k Philips/Osram OEM HID D2S
5500 k Bright sunny daylight around noon
----------------
Blueish white
5500-5600 k Electronic photo flash
6000 k Philips Ultinon HID D2S
6500-7500 k Overcast sky
-----------------
Blue:
9000-12000 k Blue sky
-----------------
Purple:
28000 Northern sky
12000-30000 k Ultra Violet light (black light)
---------------------------------

1 - 9 of 9 Posts