Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was telling a friend of mine about getting my PSC1 installed soon and he brought up a good point. What will this do to a factory warranty?? I have the extended 7 year 100K that I paid good money for that I dont' want to void. I called my cousin who is a Yota Salesman and sold me my truck and he said maybe if the motor blew and they traced it to the PSC being the reason they wouldnt cover that. But he said if like the power steering pump died they wouldn't question that if you had fuel mods. Basically he said any alterations you do to a truck can void the warranty but it sounds like that is VERY open to interpertation and has alot of grey area. If that was the case then the lift that the dealer installed on my truck when it had 14 miles on it could technically void the warranty. What do you guys think..?.anybody have any horror experiences with warranty stuff? I'm thinking it's not going to be an issue but some reassurance would be nice. :thinking:

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Just take it out if you have issues...But you wont have issues if you tune it right:waytogo:

·
Registered
278 Posts
UKMyers said:
I was telling a friend of mine about getting my PSC1 installed soon and he brought up a good point. What will this do to a factory warranty?? I have the extended 7 year 100K that I paid good money for that I dont' want to void. I called my cousin who is a Yota Salesman and sold me my truck and he said maybe if the motor blew and they traced it to the PSC being the reason they wouldnt cover that. But he said if like the power steering pump died they wouldn't question that if you had fuel mods. Basically he said any alterations you do to a truck can void the warranty but it sounds like that is VERY open to interpertation and has alot of grey area. If that was the case then the lift that the dealer installed on my truck when it had 14 miles on it could technically void the warranty. What do you guys think..?.anybody have any horror experiences with warranty stuff? I'm thinking it's not going to be an issue but some reassurance would be nice. :thinking:
if anything you can void the warantee, get a prorated refund and spend it on more mods!

·
Registered
106 Posts
keep the warranty!!!!

magnuson moss act read it

in order for warrnaty coverage to be in effect it has to be proven beyond a reasonable doubt that the aftermarket part couased the failure of the part in question. ie psc installed and engine blew as a result of detonation. they have to prove (toyota) that the detonation was caused by the psc beyond a reasonable doubt. not because you installed exhaust or quick shifter or something. the cause and effect have to be related. power window goes out they cant void the warranty since you hooked up the psc1. if you installed aftermarket speakers in the door and the window was rubbing up against one of the speaker components and cuased the arm or motor to break the dealer does not have to cover the repair. they may they may not.

hope this makes sense.

·
Registered
829 Posts
i was thinking the same thing. cause i was looking to get the psc1 too

·
Registered
8,276 Posts
I'm sure if you talk to the dealer, they're gonna say: "yes you would void the warrenty if you install the PSC"....if you remove it before going there (if you ever bring your truck that is)....they might find out, they always do...and if they don't, they generally find an excuse not to cover your stuff (whatever is damaged, or defected).
So...becasically you know what to expect.
The dealer basically want your $$...nothing else. If you asked them to install it, you "might" get away with the warrenty, but I doubt it. Ask and see for yourself.

·
Premium Member
10,387 Posts
Joey, the thing is, chances are you're going to get a better engine for longer with the PSC1 installed... I'm a huge warranty guy too, and sadly you paid for the extended...

However, just know that if you stay away from F/I for the foreseeable future, your truck is probably going to end up breathing better, and saving you more gas through the remaining years...

I choose to do the PSC1 mod because I know what it does and it's not a mod that gives side effects... It's all positive (if tuned right, this is why we're paying $ to get it done right)...

Unlike Nitrous which can shorten the life of your engine, the PSC1 is totally opposite...

You won't be making a mega bad choice, but I'm sure if you ever encounter anything down the line, simply work it out with BlackTrax to have it maybe removed and then bring it to the dealer... Chances are you won't have to...

I'm no mechanic, but how often do the ECU get checked for issues?

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Since when its installed and hidden next to the ecm behind the glove box, most likely unless you have an electrical problem and they need to work there, they won't even know its there. A far as engine or trany work. What they don't know won't hurt you.

·
Premium Member
10,387 Posts
TahoesHateMe said:
Since when its installed and hidden next to the ecm behind the glove box, most likely unless you have an electrical problem and they need to work there, they won't even know its there. A far as engine or trany work. What they don't know won't hurt you.
Exactly my point... :waytogo:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts