Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Tacorpulent HP
2,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright well if this specific question has been posted and replied to then my bad but ive searched.

Anyway, Kauss, UKMeyers and a few other guys, as well as myself will be getting our PSC's professionally installed and tuned on the dyno.

Im just wondering...the PSC granted 15 rwhp to a stock XR, which is what, 25 hp butt? My question is...with an Airaid intake, removed secondary airfilter, and magnaflow full catback with 3 inch piping, what kind of horsepower increase should be expected? Keep in mind the airaid maintains the stock position for the MAF sensor in the intake path.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Wish I could help you with your question, but please keep this thread updated with the results of the professional tune.

I've only ever heard of Gadget doing it, not someone else, so when I get one, I'd like to know how easy it'll be to get it tuned.

btw, which PSC are you going with? 001 or 003?

·
Premium Member
10,387 Posts
Korova said:
Wish I could help you with your question, but please keep this thread updated with the results of the professional tune.

I've only ever heard of Gadget doing it, not someone else, so when I get one, I'd like to know how easy it'll be to get it tuned.

btw, which PSC are you going with? 001 or 003?
If you plan on doing a tune by yourself, make sure you get a wideband somewhere ~$450, then a laptop, and hopefully a dyno pull or three... ~$1K and ~$60... You can always WOT your truck to tune it, but it's a bit more accurate with a dyno and you can actually see results...

I don't really care for the HP gain, but it's just going to make the engine perform at max efficientcy that makes me pay the $... The only thing holding me back was finding a tuner...

·
Tacorpulent HP
2,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ya ive also heard of 20-30 miles more to the tank and THAT my friend is what i really need, because i swear to god im getting 14 mpg lol.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Well I can tell you this. I have a custom intake, exhaust and a very and I mean Very mild tune on my PSC and I have to say that you will indeed feel and see a performance gain. I am at half a tank right now and I have 189 miles on it. Ive had my truck for almost 2 years and I have never been at 189 at a half tank. Thats driving in the city to work. So I think you will be happy:waytogo:

·
Premium Member
10,387 Posts
I got 210+ on half tank on a drive to SacTown the other day... I ended up with 18.5 baby!!! New record!!!

I ave like 14.5 still haha...

·
Registered
156 Posts
This is what I like to hear!! So the fuel mileage gain comes from the engine not running as rich or is there more to that story?

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
KAuss said:
I got 210+ on half tank on a drive to SacTown the other day... I ended up with 18.5 baby!!! New record!!!

I ave like 14.5 still haha...
Highway > city mpg

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
UKMyers said:
This is what I like to hear!! So the fuel mileage gain comes from the engine not running as rich or is there more to that story?
I guess you can say that. The engine is definetly breathing more efficient

·
Registered
533 Posts
KAuss said:
If you plan on doing a tune by yourself, make sure you get a wideband somewhere ~$450, then a laptop, and hopefully a dyno pull or three... ~$1K and ~$60...
Laptop, no prob (just borrow my parents), PSC-003 easy (got a new job and the money is fixing to flow), Dyno, I'm sure there's one around here somewhere.... Knowledge on how to tune...... None.

Please tell me it's as easy as riding a bike.

·
Premium Member
10,387 Posts
Korova said:
Laptop, no prob (just borrow my parents), PSC-003 easy (got a new job and the money is fixing to flow), Dyno, I'm sure there's one around here somewhere.... Knowledge on how to tune...... None.

Please tell me it's as easy as riding a bike.
Yeah this is why I want to pay to see it happen... Maybe even work a relationship with the shop and learn a thing or two when I have nothing else to do...

I basically know what you're trying to do with the laptop, but no idea how... It's really boils down to getting the numbers to stoichiometric ratio... 14.6/1...

I doubt I'll be able to pick it up in one day as I'm mechanically brain dead... However, if I'm ever going to do anything with the truck, it might as well be behind the computer and not with a wrench... We'll see...

If tuning is easier than I expect, then I might just be temped to buy the URD intake / exhaust before my brakes which amazingly still stop just as bad as the day they were new :lol: 10K miles 80% local driving with a bunch of head dive 90° hangers heh...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts