Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm just finishing getting a new-to-me 2003 Tacoma built up as the replacement for my just-sold 2001. Both 4WD TRD Double Cabs.

The now-sold 2001 had a VIP 3000 system, so I'm familiar with that.

The new-to-me 2003 had an aftermarket alarm that was a PITA to live with and only slightly less of a PITA to remove. Although its install had a bunch of T-taps, there was only one cut wire to re-join, that one the starter wire from the ignition switch. All seems good now. But I lost the ability to unlock with a fob.

The original build data shows the truck was equipped with the factory RKE system.

But how to get it into programming mode so I can see if the notalot eBay OEM fob works? Whether or not I have the right, working remote is another subject -- maybe it will, maybe not, but until it goes into remote programming mode, I can't tell.

I've followed the various instructions to be found online, even ones that aren't stated to work with the Tacoma but are from the right period. Nuthin'.

Even a Toyota TSB on identifying remotes isn't much help -- if I read it correctly that bulletin doesn't show factory RKE available in 2003...

Any ideas on how to get the truck into programming mode, or how to confirm that the truck HAS RKE would be much appreciated.

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,578 Posts
What are / were the specifics on the aftermarket alarm rig that had been installed in the 2003?

What state was this aftermarket rig in when you took possession? Are there any aftermarket components still in place?

SIDE NOTE: Please update your Profile to reflect the new Taco.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 2003 DC had a Clifford Matrix 3.3X aftermarket alarm by Directed Electronics installed by a car audio/alarm company in Denver by the previous owner. To the best of my knowledge there is nothing from that alarm remaining in the system -- and my knowledge is pretty good, as I changed the worn oak interior originally in the new-to-me 2003 with the much better (and preferable) charcoal interior from my now-sold 2001. So I now know *every* nut and bolt in a Tacoma Gen 1.5 interior(!).

The alarm was installed c 2011-13 by the second owner as I recall from the paperwork I inherited. I'm the third owner.

It had an aftermarket stereo, but that was simply a plug-and-play harness for head unit and door speakers. No other mods to the electrical system that I can tell.

Here's the alarm control box:

Here's the ignition wiring. That black wire to far right is the only one that was cut during the install. All cleaned up now, with black wire splice and tapped lines insulated with shrink tubing.

Here's some of the trigger wiring. All T-taps, now removed.

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,578 Posts
Let's back up here ...

Do you have power windows, door locks, and mirrors on the '03?

In 2003 the remote keyless entry was available only with the Power Package - which included these other 3 features.

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,578 Posts
Did you transplant the TVIP unit into the 2003 Taco?

I'm trying to figure out what's installed in / on the 2003 that could (much less should) be reacting to a keyless signal.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Yes, the 2003 has the power package. Mirrors, locks, and windows work perfectly.

It was my original intent to transfer the TVIP from 2001 to 2003, but as I read the TVIP installation manual and the original build data on my truck, it indicated that the TVIP alarm won't work if installed in a truck with RKE as a factory install.

ISTR a post some years ago from your good self, Enola, when I was researching this whole thing before digging in that the factory RKE is built into the ECU, not an separate box like the TVIP.

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,578 Posts
Do you have the Clifford install manual, and have you checked to see how many factory wires were tapped or replaced or ignored during the install?

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,578 Posts
... ISTR a post some years ago from your good self, Enola, when I was researching this whole thing before digging in that the factory RKE is built into the ECU, not an separate box like the TVIP.
The part that's confusing me is where the keyless antenna is located.

For both a 2001 RS3000 and a 2003 RS3200 install, the fob signal receiver antenna is attached to the TVIP ECU..

The antenna is simply a wire that's run from the TVIP ECU up to the ignition switch cylinder and strapped there.. It comes off the V3 harness that's included in the TVIP kit (or pre-installed at the factory).

I'm wondering whether you removed or disabled the antenna while moving things around.

If the 2003 had the RKE along with the other stuff in the package, I think it may have had an RS3200 ECU installed. I have a vague memory that the RKE required a 'dummy' install of the otherwise optional alarm controller.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a few bits and pieces from Clifford's install stuff. Parts of the manual, I'd say. There isn't much out there, mainly due to their desire not to talk too much about how the install is done. I talked to the shop that did the install and they described system removal as simply a matter of tracing and removing taps and reconnecting the starter circuit. That indeed seemed to be the case. But you can see how ugly the original install was (I hate modifying factory wiring!) so who knows what else went on some years prior at that shop.

There was no RS3000/RS3200 module in the truck, and the only wires I removed were clearly part of the harness supplied with the Clifford alarm. Is it possible stuff was removed during the install of the aftermarket alarm long before I got the truck? Yes, it is.

I'm gonna have to wade deeper into the wiring diagram for my truck to see what I have versus what it "should" have. Looking for an antenna wire could be a good starting point. Do you have any idea what that wire might look like or if it's on the wiring diagram?

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,578 Posts
... I'm gonna have to wade deeper into the wiring diagram for my truck to see what I have versus what it "should" have. Looking for an antenna wire could be a good starting point. Do you have any idea what that wire might look like or if it's on the wiring diagram?
The antenna is not shown on the 2001 - 2004 Wiring Manual diagrams. This is because the RKE feature was an optional feature.

The details on the antenna wire are to be found in the RS3XXX installation guide, and then only for the earlier version.

As of 2001, the TVIP was V3, and a V3 wire harness was included in the install kit.

As of 2003, the TVIP was V5, and the V5 wire harness was pre-installed in that year's Tacos.

This would seem to indicate your 2003 already has the wiring harness, provided the aftermarket installer didn't monkey with it or remove it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts