Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get my oil changes done at the local dealership and have been doing so for the whole time I have owned the truck, 2008 Tacoma, purchased new. I gotten nearly all oil changes from them. I did 1 oil change out of state because of where I at but it was over 9 years go but that could also have been on the previous truck.

I am reviewing the documents I got after the oil change and found the following:
"Drain plug coming out hard it has heated coil in oil pan. Recommend replacement of oil pan, drain plug starting to feel loose while torquing. Drain plug doesn't torque to spec, my leak at any moment"

I am recalling a drain plug issue may have been mentioned on the previous oil change sheets but it wasn't stated as sever. I feel this should be their responasabilty to fix since they have been doing all the oil changes. I amit that do not have copy of all the oil changes through the years but I feel they should have digital records showing that they have been doing the oil changes

I still need to verify this loose drain plug...

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,677 Posts
What does the "heated coil in oil pan" refer to? Do you have an aftermarket oil pan heater installed?

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,677 Posts
I'd recommend crawling under there and draining the oil yourself (you can always put the oil back in if it's "fresh"), just to get an idea what's what. Use a torque wrench to check how tight the drain plug was torqued and whether you can torque it back to spec.

I'm not sure how much of a case you can make for the dealership to take responsibility on this given the age of the truck and the problems of documenting each and every one of the oil changes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts