Toyota Tacoma Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before, when I would shut my engine off, the needle from the fuel gauge would go to the empty mark. But now, when I shut the engine off, it stays put. It measures correctly, but one time, it measured empty so I pumped gas. It turns out I still had half a tank of gas and spilt gas everywhere, as I was under the impression that the tank was empty. Anyone now what the problem might be or where I can go to get it fixed? Please let me know.

Attachments

·
Registered
311 Posts
Sounds wierd bud, I think it is normal for the guage to stay in the last position it was in before the vehicle is shut off. When you go to the gas station and fill up it remains in the lower position untill the key is in the "on" position and will slooowwwlly climb to the new level.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
that's normal... for it to go to E when the engine is shut off.. i am guessing you have the low end version of the TACOMA.. if you don't have power anything your fuel gauge will read E or sometimes stay half way... has to do with the electronic relay switch on the gauges board.... but I don't wanna get into too much detail about that... lets just say the high end models have better components

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think you guys mis-understood what I was trying to say. Let me explain. When the engine is on, the needle measures the amount of fuel left. When I turn the engine off, the needle stays in the same place it was as when the engine was on. It no longer goes down to the E when the engine is off. It used to, but not anymore.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
like a said... your gauge still has an electronic signal.. takes time for the capacitors in the gauge board to discharge.. when you don't drive you truck for a few days it will go down to E... mine does that too and I drive a 96... when i first got it. the fuel gauge will always be left on what it had left.. now it just goes to E or go half way... plus also the climate effects the electrical system...

·
Registered
282 Posts
my 2k don't say that either... dammit why does my 2k have square bumper lights...

·
Registered
760 Posts
you got the prerunner front end style. thats the one i wanted because of the prerunner front fenders. but at that time no dealer had it.

·
Registered
557 Posts
when i first got my truck in 98 i had probs with the fuel gauge.....i thought i was at half tank and i ran outta gas....it was the 1st week i had the truck.....i took it to get serviced and it's been workin ever since

1 - 9 of 9 Posts