Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys does anyone know if a pre-taco window out of like a 93 work in my 9r so i can ditch that hillbillie sliding crap?? thanks

·
pho sho!
3,316 Posts
Why not just get a solid non-slider from a 95.5-04? Just be sure to use the right gasket.

They should be available @ the stealer and even at some of those RV dealer places. [I checked a while back when I was thinking about a solid rear window.]

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,679 Posts
According to this June 2005 posting:

http://www.customtacos.com/forum/showthread.php?p=500337

... the answer is 'No'.

However ... The PreTaco Regular Cab and XtraCab windows were not the same exact size, so I can't confirm the 'No' answer verified in the above-cited thread is good for both PreTaco sizes.

Just to confuse the issue ... In this October 2004 posting:

http://www.customtacos.com/forum/showthread.php?p=335578

... CT-zen Long claims his 1999 rear window fit into his neighbor's 1991 PreTaco. However - the cab style of the 1991 PreTaco isn't specified ...

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,679 Posts

·
pho sho!
3,316 Posts
I think we need a little more clarification. Randy, his profile lists a 96 Tacoma.

Fact: a Pre-Taco rear window will not work without extensive modification.

If you have a 96 taco you can get a solid rear window from the stealer, etc. from a 95.5+ Tacoma and it will work, just make sure you don't use the gasket from a sliding rear window.

tam

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,679 Posts
tam said:
I think we need a little more clarification. Randy, his profile lists a 96 Tacoma.

Fact: a Pre-Taco rear window will not work without extensive modification. ...
There doesn't seem to be any reported attempt to transplant a PreTaco rear window into a 1995.5+ Tacoma. We *do* have isolated reports of a post-1995.5 rear window fitting into one or another (Reg Cab vs. XtraCab) PreTaco of the '89 - '95 era.

So.... Is your claim 'grounded' in actual experience, or ... ????

NOTE: I'm not trying to be argumentative - I'm just interested in settling the issue once and for all ...

·
pho sho!
3,316 Posts
I don't think we're on the same page. I believe that he was thinking of using a solid window from a pre-taco on his '96 Tacoma that has a sliding rear window. Which we have established is not a direct swap.

When I say that the swap won't work without extensive modification, I mean you cannot take a pretaco rear window and directly swap it with a Tacoma rear window. It would require modding like that Taco that has the 4runner window we saw a couple years back, lots of cutting and welding.

If he owns a 1996 Tacoma and has a sliding rear window, he has the option to swap it out with a solid rear window, which he could obtain from the stealership, junkyard, or other resource.

Hopefully I made some sense, I've been awake for about 26 hours now.

P.s. not trying to argue either taco-resource-god :bow:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah sliders blow goats unless its a 4x4, hmm i was just wondering since i was walking thru a junkyard last week and found one in the box of a pre taco, but here in canada you cant really find tacomas at junkyards because of there "part-out" value

1 - 9 of 9 Posts