Toyota Tacoma Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts
G

·
Nobody should waste their money on a tb spacer. Theres is NO way it could result in 14ft lbs of torque or even 5hp to the wheels. Ones money would be better spent on just about any other performance part.

· Registered
556 Posts
i'm with glenn and hairy, i had it too but it sucks, didn't do a damn thing, except a cool turbo sound.....i've dyno'd it too nothing.. i wish i wasted my 100 bucks somewhere esle.

· Registered
109 Posts
No offense to anyone who loves theirs, but I think they're only made to be a "dress-up" item. The companies that make them know they have got their customers fooled. The only use I can see for a short spacer, might be so that you can drill & tap it for a nitrous or water injection nozzle (and then, nitrous is safer ahead of the TB). Why would anyone think a small spacer would help to make power on an INJECTED engine? Granted, on a carbed one, where the plenum was too small to distribute mixture evenly in the intended RPM range, then yes; but on an INJECTED engine?? The injectors are right above the valves... not in the throttle body. A spacer potentially could help increase ram effect of the incoming air, but I think it would have to be at least 5" long to have any effect at all, and then it would only help in certain RPM ranges.... Rather than seeing dyno tests to disprove that they do anything, I'd like to see the company submit a production sample to an independent, non-biased
dyno shop that does real testing on a real Tacoma.... The spacer company wouldn't bother, as long as people keep buying them. Besides, if the dyno actually showed it did anything at all, it would be at what(?) RPM range that it actually showed an increase in HP? And at which RPMs did it show a DECREASE...? Since I was always of the "form follows function" school, I can't enen say a red-white&blue anodized spacer with stars & stripes would do anything for me, -except make me laugh. I'd rather see the old JCWhitney hood figurine that thumbs his nose, and has light-up eyes.... Kind of like the chrome horse on the hood, & the bull stickers on the doors.... They always make me laugh... OK; let's hear another good one about constipation....HAPPY NEW YEAR!

· Registered
1,991 Posts
I think a lot of these people need to go back to auto 101 and understand truly the concept behind the Fuel Injection system. Then, and only then, will they understand the attributes of a TB spacer. No one said anything about HP.

· Registered
109 Posts
Well, if it's not for HP, or looks, what then? I sure don't need a funky "whistling noise". Please explain... I'd like to go back to autoshop 101; it has been a long while. I gues my ASE certs, years of studying intake/exhaust sound wave theory, and my unlimited smog license made me forget about AS 101. Ah... those were the days. That was when my crazy buddy Jim was absolutely certain that the 850 double-pumper he just put on his over-cammed 283 Chevelle REALLY was an improvement over the 650 vac secondary...once it got past the flat spot. Please explain what the spacer REALLY does..I need to learn. I really want to believe... ;) (I'm sorry, but this is just too much fun to leave alone...)

· Registered
1,203 Posts
HT:

Har! I'm enjoying this as well. You've got some impressive automotive wallpapers! I have no diplomas in AS, but only in locksmithing. Wrench spinnin' and hot-roddin' is just for fun and thrills!

Your crazy buddy Jim sounds like one (or several) of my old hi-skool homies. Back then I didn't have the money for hop-up hardware for my jalopy, but James H. did. I talked him into buying an Edelbrock tunnel-ram and a Holley four-hole for his mom's ('68?/'69?) Chevy. Way overkill! Dang near drowned the pistons in gasoline trying to fire off the mix. Had to take it right back off--never worked. James' mom wasn't exactly thrilled.

Voodoo and black magic have no place in automotive engineering. Machines don't respond to myths.

Rad

· Registered
1,991 Posts
Well, your first problem was that you were working on a Chevy :) It's all in fun! Sounds like you've had a couple classes. I'm unsure of the HP I don't know if it gives any. If it did, it's probably not enough to notice. But, why do we do anything to our trucks? To try and make it faster, look better, feel stronger, etc. We Sometimes hit it good, sometimes we're way off. Like I said before, To each his own.

One thing I do have to say about the TB spacer is that it did increase my mpg, and when going up long hills or quick starts, the truck is stronger! My theory is that it increased the torque. The main promotion of the poweraid is the torque.

G

·
hey hairy! why you gotta hate? if you think a tb spacer is crap then dam leave it at that. every one is intitled to their own opionin right? p.s. you better lower you friggin truck.

· Registered
109 Posts
Hey, no hate here! And if I offended; so what? I was just trying to make a point...What should I care what people like to stick in their Tacos? My truck is pretty functional (I think!); last night, I had a blast blowin' the doors off a riced up Honda Prelude on the freeway between 55-95 (then hit traffic), AND beat out an early '70s Nova on the street (cammed, exhausted; don't know what else). While the Honda didn't have a chance, the Nova did run hard, and kept up, but never pulled ahead. P.S.-When I can find a good way to lower it the amount I want, I'll do it...(just want to drop 2", but for handling more than looks). Thanks for the advice. ;D

· Registered
62 Posts
Springs probably won't drop a S-Runner 2"... the S has different coil springs...

I'm pissed I missed most of the fun on this discussion... "Hairy, why you gotta hate?" Wow.. that's impressive.

He's right, and no one pissed in his or my corn flakes. A carb spacer does help the air/FUEL mixture of a carb'd engine. on a FI motor...it does NADA..nothing. 1" extra of a ~15" long manifold isn't going to help.

Loud mufflers frequently make people think they have more HP. Ever hear the infamous Thrush "Cherry-bomb" mufflers? Even though you couls see through them, they flowed like crap. But the incraesed volume made people think it was faster.

Nevermind what Toyota could have done. Let's talk TRD. Or ELP. How about Rod Millen? 2 of the 3 are no compromise tuners. NONE of them use a 1" TB spacer on their tuned Toyota's.. You don't think Rod Millen would like an easy 14ft-lb on his 1000hp Pike's peak car?

But one if you wish. Tell everyone it made a difference. Then take it to the track or your OWN dyno. Just do me one favor.. leave the round gasket in there, instead of the D-shaped one. THAT's where the power lies.

· Registered
1,991 Posts
You are taking jiberish. "You don't think Rod Millen would like an easy 14ft-lb on his 1000hp Pike's peak car? " Why would Rod millen care about 14 lbs of torque when he's already pushing close to 900? We poor guys don't have 1000 hp on our trucks. This is old news anyway. The topic is over done. One is not going to satisfy the other.

· Registered
188 Posts
I put a Poweraid TBS on my truck last night. 2 things I noticed, and would appreciate constructive comments or suggestions on. First, when I took the tb off, there was some brown fluid sitting in the intake manifold. It wiped up easily, but I'm still wondering what it is. I put a K&N FIPK on just about 6 weeks ago, could it be oil coming off of that? If so, I should probably check my mass air sensor too huh?

Second, my "Check Engine" light is on now. I've started the truck up 5 or 6 times, so if it's supposed to reset every third start, it hasn't happened. I've driven it for about 45-50 minutes all together, so what some people have said about it clearing up in 20 minutes didn't happen either. I did pull the negative battery cable, but only for a minute or so. I guess that's my next move, to pull it for 15 minutes or so, right?

Thanks for the help.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.