Toyota Tacoma Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
109 Posts
Just snake oil.... You'll gain more by keeping your tires inflated to the proper pressure. Really, what's a 1" spacer going to do? If that 1" really gained anything like the 14 foot pounds torque, don't you think that Toyota, with one of the best research facilities in the world, would have already built that in? SNAKE OIL! In fact, real snake oil added to gas would probably do as much good. Hey, but if you're into lame eyewash, go for it. Yellow stickers make horsepower too....depends on who you ask.

· Registered
109 Posts
The torque-robbin' P.O.S. airbox does what it's designed for perfectly well! It keeps the intake noise down to almost nothing, holds a filter of adequate size, and allows for it to be easily replaced. It probably didn't cost a whole lot to design or manufacture, and for the power levels, type of driving, and buyer the truck was intended for, it's perfect. A longer intake tract just behind the throttle body is also very easy to design and manufacture, and if it increased torque in the range the truck was designed for, I'm sure it would have been built in. Sure, aftermarket parts can help to make lots more power... but there's almost always a trade off of some kind; noise, fuel economy, ride quality, engine life, etc. All I can say about throttle body spacers is that I have no use for 'em. I don't even know what they cost, but I'm sure the $ could be spent somewhere else to make more power for the $. Hell, for a whole lot less, get the TRD TB gasket that doesn't block off 20% of the intake, or, I'll sell you my unused "supercharged" stick-ons left over from the TRD blower install. They're good for nearly as much power as that TB spacer...... Oh, and as for everyone "flying out of the dealerships with 300 horses", they CAN give that to you, BUT, again there's that compromise issue....fuel economy, emmissions, longevity, and PRODUCTION COSTS.... The Taco was just designed to be a cheap, reliable, transport/worktruck. OK; enough ranting....

· Registered
109 Posts
No offense to anyone who loves theirs, but I think they're only made to be a "dress-up" item. The companies that make them know they have got their customers fooled. The only use I can see for a short spacer, might be so that you can drill & tap it for a nitrous or water injection nozzle (and then, nitrous is safer ahead of the TB). Why would anyone think a small spacer would help to make power on an INJECTED engine? Granted, on a carbed one, where the plenum was too small to distribute mixture evenly in the intended RPM range, then yes; but on an INJECTED engine?? The injectors are right above the valves... not in the throttle body. A spacer potentially could help increase ram effect of the incoming air, but I think it would have to be at least 5" long to have any effect at all, and then it would only help in certain RPM ranges.... Rather than seeing dyno tests to disprove that they do anything, I'd like to see the company submit a production sample to an independent, non-biased
dyno shop that does real testing on a real Tacoma.... The spacer company wouldn't bother, as long as people keep buying them. Besides, if the dyno actually showed it did anything at all, it would be at what(?) RPM range that it actually showed an increase in HP? And at which RPMs did it show a DECREASE...? Since I was always of the "form follows function" school, I can't enen say a red-white&blue anodized spacer with stars & stripes would do anything for me, -except make me laugh. I'd rather see the old JCWhitney hood figurine that thumbs his nose, and has light-up eyes.... Kind of like the chrome horse on the hood, & the bull stickers on the doors.... They always make me laugh... OK; let's hear another good one about constipation....HAPPY NEW YEAR!

· Registered
109 Posts
Well, if it's not for HP, or looks, what then? I sure don't need a funky "whistling noise". Please explain... I'd like to go back to autoshop 101; it has been a long while. I gues my ASE certs, years of studying intake/exhaust sound wave theory, and my unlimited smog license made me forget about AS 101. Ah... those were the days. That was when my crazy buddy Jim was absolutely certain that the 850 double-pumper he just put on his over-cammed 283 Chevelle REALLY was an improvement over the 650 vac secondary...once it got past the flat spot. Please explain what the spacer REALLY does..I need to learn. I really want to believe... ;) (I'm sorry, but this is just too much fun to leave alone...)

· Registered
109 Posts
Hey, no hate here! And if I offended; so what? I was just trying to make a point...What should I care what people like to stick in their Tacos? My truck is pretty functional (I think!); last night, I had a blast blowin' the doors off a riced up Honda Prelude on the freeway between 55-95 (then hit traffic), AND beat out an early '70s Nova on the street (cammed, exhausted; don't know what else). While the Honda didn't have a chance, the Nova did run hard, and kept up, but never pulled ahead. P.S.-When I can find a good way to lower it the amount I want, I'll do it...(just want to drop 2", but for handling more than looks). Thanks for the advice. ;D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.