Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone in here painted any parts of there dash. I want to with blue, white and silver and was wandering if anyone had any hints besides doing a primer and 2 coats of the paint. Is it going to last or just chip away?

Thanks
INACOMA

·
Premium Member
4,441 Posts
I painted some pieces on my last truck (not a Taco) and it stuck around for a long time..no chipping, cept' if I scratched it with something. I'm trying to think of some Tacos that have painted dashes. I know Tukin' Taco and Spicey Taco both do. If they're lurking around, they have some input on this.

·
Premium Member
13,639 Posts
I have my inserts painted with base/clear. It looks great and there is no reason for it to chip as long as it is scuffed and done properly.

·
Premium Member
6,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you just scuff it with a scotch pad and then throw a coat of primer on it. Then paint? Should i do a Clear coat or just put some wax on it? I plan on doing it soon and don't want to make any mistakes.

Thanks

INACOMA

·
Premium Member
13,639 Posts
Not sure on that one. I took it to my friends shop, <a target="_blank" href=http://madmods.com>madmods.com</a> and told him I wanted it painted. May have to check with a body shop or maybe someone else will reply.

·
Registered
311 Posts
The way to put paint on plastic pieces is to use adhesion promoter, each paint system is different though. Just bring your stuff to a body shop and they would do it pretty cheap, the preparation is the same as for a plastic bumper.

PS. I did mine in green base clear and look really neat, everybody comments on them.

·
Premium Member
6,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know off a company that makes a carbon fiber dash kit for my truck but it is around 300 bucks. If I am going to pay for painting I think I am going to go with Carbon Fiber just cause it is damn sexy!!

Thanks again for the help

·
Premium Member
13,639 Posts
The carbon fiber dash kits are usually just several pieces that stick on the dash. By painting the dash pieces, you can paint as much as you like. I have painted the piece around the guages, the pieces on both sides of the steering wheel below the guages and the whole piece around the ac/radio controls. I think it's more noticable than the carbon fiber kit would be.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts