Toyota Tacoma Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did my engine plastics when doing my eyelids. I tried masking the silver lettering and logo on the cover...:brickknoc too hard, so I sprayed everything and just hand lettered with silver One Shot. Looks good, the engine bay is unfortunately a sick looking flat blue, but the painted plastics do add pop inside.

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
Hey my friend did the same thing with his Corolla XRS. He got chrome vynl cut to match the lettering and logo on the engine cover. I gotta snap a pic to show you but it looks really good. He said some place online did it for him.

·
Registered
546 Posts
looks good man, i wish my truck's engine bay had covers so i could paint them... right now their dirty black. :)

the paint does add a lot though!

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
looks really nice man. congrats on the out come. kinda wish my truck wasnt black because then id paint my cover but to paint a black par tblack doesnt make much of a difference.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Nice man....I really like the TRD fuse box cover. That, Im guessing came with the TRD logo....??

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. Yeah, when i ordered the 'chrome look' TRD stickers to replace the fugly red and white stock ones, they came with 2 medium and 2 small TRD stickers...good stuff on clear 3M thin film...just like the factory stuff.:runaway:
If I had a black truck,I think silver plactics would look good under the hood....

·
Registered
581 Posts
I like that man, nice and clean, so did you paint it, or use the vinyl, kind of confused off what you said

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks. It's paint, catalyzed urethane, single stage (no clear) but glossy enough for plastics.
I painted a lot of stuff...

·
Registered
581 Posts
That's cool, where can you buy it and anything special i need to know before painting something, and is it expensive

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have a 'home' setup, lost my shop years ago, but I do custom paint work as a hobby now. Compressor, spray guns etc...I know you can get auto paint in spray cans, I've never sen it here and I'm sure it's NOT catalyzed, like the factory stuff I use. Should be fine for small stuff.
I clean all parts with Dawn soap and hot water first. I'll use wax/grease remover (NAPA KleenEze) or denatured alcohol, wipe dry and tack rag. SEM plastic prep (which slightly softens the plastic for better adhesion) NAPA plastic flex primer and the cat-urethane. Gotta have a GOOD respirator, I wear it while mixing, spraying and clean up. Good luck.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Cool thanks:waytogo:

·
Mambeau / Admin
48,047 Posts
About the black opal metallic ...

Did you create a single paint / formula to get that opalescent effect, or did you come up with a multi-layering scheme to get the effect?

·
Registered
2020 TRD OFFROAD
23 Posts
About the black opal metallic ...

Did you create a single paint / formula to get that opalescent effect, or did you come up with a multi-layering scheme to get the effect?
No, it's multiple layers of base metallic black and different metal flakes. All the color change stuff is 6-10 different bases and colors and flakes in different configurations to achieve the different effects. I wish it were that easy. I probably spent 4-$500 on paints and all the supplies and sent away for 90% of it.

·
Registered
2020 TRD OFFROAD
23 Posts
No, it's multiple layers of base metallic black and different metal flakes. All the color change stuff is 6-10 different bases and colors and flakes in different configurations to achieve the different effects. I wish it were that easy. I probably spent 4-$500 on paints and all the supplies and sent away for 90% of it.
It's all spray cans. And temperature safe and 2K clear coated like the outside. It will hold up great.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts