Toyota Tacoma Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did my engine plastics when doing my eyelids. I tried masking the silver lettering and logo on the cover...:brickknoc too hard, so I sprayed everything and just hand lettered with silver One Shot. Looks good, the engine bay is unfortunately a sick looking flat blue, but the painted plastics do add pop inside.

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
Hey my friend did the same thing with his Corolla XRS. He got chrome vynl cut to match the lettering and logo on the engine cover. I gotta snap a pic to show you but it looks really good. He said some place online did it for him.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
looks really nice man. congrats on the out come. kinda wish my truck wasnt black because then id paint my cover but to paint a black par tblack doesnt make much of a difference.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. Yeah, when i ordered the 'chrome look' TRD stickers to replace the fugly red and white stock ones, they came with 2 medium and 2 small TRD stickers...good stuff on clear 3M thin film...just like the factory stuff.:runaway:
If I had a black truck,I think silver plactics would look good under the hood....

·
Registered
581 Posts
I like that man, nice and clean, so did you paint it, or use the vinyl, kind of confused off what you said

·
Registered
581 Posts
That's cool, where can you buy it and anything special i need to know before painting something, and is it expensive

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have a 'home' setup, lost my shop years ago, but I do custom paint work as a hobby now. Compressor, spray guns etc...I know you can get auto paint in spray cans, I've never sen it here and I'm sure it's NOT catalyzed, like the factory stuff I use. Should be fine for small stuff.
I clean all parts with Dawn soap and hot water first. I'll use wax/grease remover (NAPA KleenEze) or denatured alcohol, wipe dry and tack rag. SEM plastic prep (which slightly softens the plastic for better adhesion) NAPA plastic flex primer and the cat-urethane. Gotta have a GOOD respirator, I wear it while mixing, spraying and clean up. Good luck.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Cool thanks:waytogo:

·
Mambeau / Admin
48,226 Posts
About the black opal metallic ...

Did you create a single paint / formula to get that opalescent effect, or did you come up with a multi-layering scheme to get the effect?

·
Registered
2020 TRD OFFROAD
23 Posts
About the black opal metallic ...

Did you create a single paint / formula to get that opalescent effect, or did you come up with a multi-layering scheme to get the effect?
No, it's multiple layers of base metallic black and different metal flakes. All the color change stuff is 6-10 different bases and colors and flakes in different configurations to achieve the different effects. I wish it were that easy. I probably spent 4-$500 on paints and all the supplies and sent away for 90% of it.

·
Registered
2020 TRD OFFROAD
23 Posts
No, it's multiple layers of base metallic black and different metal flakes. All the color change stuff is 6-10 different bases and colors and flakes in different configurations to achieve the different effects. I wish it were that easy. I probably spent 4-$500 on paints and all the supplies and sent away for 90% of it.
It's all spray cans. And temperature safe and 2K clear coated like the outside. It will hold up great.

·
Registered
1 Posts
some custom painting I spent a few months creating. The black I call "black opal metallic" my own creation the lights up through the rainbow otherwise it appears black. 9i
View attachment 136043
Wow, that's looks fantastic! I really like how there are blue dots look like. If it possible do same paint, but not in all colors of rainbow, but only in blue, for example this color mix Blue ??

1 - 19 of 19 Posts