Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well spent all day sanding preping and painting my dash and it looks like CRAP....I mean I sanded and sanded starting with 80 grit to 220 grit to 320 grit to wat i thought was a smooth surface well I applited 2 coats of promer/sealer looked good I thought make this is gonan turn out great....sparyed the first coat real light well aboutt he 3rd coat of paint she looked terrible you can see sanding trenches and I duno looked like thousands upon thousands of particals all over the place looks terrible.....I dunno wat to do I have did all I know to do i'll post some pic up little later

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
alright updated profile...........well I am kinda new to the whole thing and I just wanted to start wht my interior modding....plus I dont know of a good body shop around that does interiors or I would paid to have it done.

·
YEP... I'MMA DOUCH3
10,933 Posts
Paint the dash is fine... but why 80 grit... you should have stay with 220 and finished with 800...

·
BOOSTED
2,069 Posts
get those wet sanding primers the fill the holes quite well. but yeah the real way to do it is to have someone glass it over and then paint. but it should look good if you bondo or putty all the scratches and then paint. just gotta redo the proccess.

·
BOOSTED
2,069 Posts
you can do it that way or try and have someone glass it for you. or you might have to go the route of trying to body work the dash which is the same as doing if you body work your exterior

·
Registered
14,486 Posts
if you are going to use bondo take some 80 grit to it again.. the bondo needs somethign to stick to.. personally if it was me i'd just take my time with sme 1K grit and some filler primer and sand the primer with 1K grit and take your tiem painting or have a pro paint it.. but just dont cheap out on the prep man.. :waytogo:

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
For the most part you cannot use bondo over plastic it will not stick. there are plastic fillers that are made to fill plastic. Also what color did you use. If it was white, black, red or any solid color you will see the scratches until you clear it then they go away when the clear fills them in. If the scratches are bad now to where clear will not fill them in then i would say to just go ahead and clear it with a thick coat and wet sand the clear and start over on top of that. Most of the time clear is a better filler than even primer. I wish I could show you what I'm talking about but its a bit hard to explain. I am speaking from experience and have been a painter for some time now. If you have any questions or I just confused you more PM me and I will try to explain it in more detail.

Hope this helps. Don't give up on it.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
mix bondo and glass in a 5-1 ratio then just paint it on your dash. it makes like a thick paint, so it will flow with your dash curves.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey been working on it past couple days got it looked quiet well actually I had 2 coats of primer and 3 top coats with no clear on it at the time of the orginal post and it did look bad.....but I seen potiential and instead of doing something drastic like taking 80 git and going sand crazy I went out and bought me 800 grit and 1K grit and commensed to went sand the entire thing and the paint and primer actually acted as a filler and filled in all the dips as I sanded smooth the bumps and other flaws I then top coated it 2 more times let dry over night then put one coat of clear and allowing to dry again over night tomorrow I am goin to go out and take some 2K grit paper and color sand and buff with compound hoping to get a flawless finish...will post pic on tuesday thats when I should be done with process

1 - 20 of 21 Posts