Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 2WD 2.4 5-speed with only 56k miles. It apparently is overheating according to the Ractive aftermarket gauge. At one point I did mix the two antifreezes (green and orange stuff) but I flushed it all out and replaced it this weekend.
What is the normal running temperature?
I drilled holes in the themostat to try and compensate for the overheating. That semi worked. If I put the stock thermostat in with no holes it will go to about 240 in about 5 minutes. On the highway it does OK. (right around 200). In town it just starts going up. I usually pull over and let it cool down when it hits 220-225.
Any ideas?
Temperature sending unit?
Bad Ractive Temp gauge?
Bad fan clutch?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
What is the stock guage showing? If you are running at the right temp on the highway, but overheating in the city, it seems like there is not enough airflow going through the radiator when you are driving slow. Check and make sure your engine fan is spinning properly and that the radiator fins are clean. If you say that you drilled holes in the thermostat and it helped some, your thermostat may be bad and not opening all the way. Also, you say that you mixed orange and green coolant. Was orange the original color? You didn't mix with something like DexCool, did you? The first thing I would do (assuming the fan works fine) is replace the thermostat. I believe our thermostats are around 180 F, so if you are showing a lot higher than that and drilling holes helped, replace it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Normal operating temp should be 200 to 210 degrees. 240 is definatley overheating. Put a brand new thermostat in it, make sure you get all the air out of the system-if you did not purge the cooling system properly it will overheat everytime.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know what the stock gauge shows because the person I bought it off of cut the wire to the stock gauge and wired it to the aftermaket one. I will have take apart my dash to wire the stock gauge back up.

I mixed prestone green with one of the orange long lasting antifreezes. I did flush it out all of the way.

Purging? how do I purge the cooling system all of the way? Maybe I missed something. Someone said if I don't purge right it will overheat everytime? But, would it only overheat in the city not on the highway?

Also, if I'm in town and at a stoplight, if I rev the motor to about 2000-2500 RPM's it will not heat up ...

Thanks for the help

·
Premium Member
5,874 Posts
Replace the aftermarket gauge with the stock gauge and retest. do you hear any boiling noises coming from the engine when it is allegedly overheating?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't hear any boiling noises... I will rewire the to the stock gauge and see what happens...
How do I get all of the air out of the system or purge?

:waytogo:

Thanks for the help...

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
Well, I did a flush 2 days ago, and bleeding the system was not really an issue. I ran the the motor with the cap off and heater on high until the stock temp guage moved to the middle and thermostat opened, then I shut everything off, put the cap back on and drove to work. After coming home and have the truck cool, I opened the cap, heard a gurgle type noise as a little bit of air escaped, topped off the antifreeze (very little), and that was it. I did this a few times, and everything was fine. Note that I never overheated though. It would've undoubtadly have purged itself through the radiator cap eventually I'm sure. But if you are replacing your thermostat (you should because that is likely what's causing your problem), then don't worry about purging at this point.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Id be looking at the clutch fan if its OK on the highway but it may also have a stuck partially opened thermostat too. Ive had my 22R 87 do that twice on me but when its stuck closed like mine were it overheats everywhere. I carry a spare and a gallon of antifreeze and a 1/4 inch drive ratchet , extension & 10mm socket with me now. Aliminum heads do not like being overheated. Id maybe try a thermometer too to see how accurate the gauge is. I just replace them every 2 years now, no problems that way

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had to rewire the stock gauge plug because the fool before me actually cut the wire real short at the plug... I didn't change out the thermostat yet... That is tonight( I ran out of time last night).
I test the new thermostat in the kitchen on the stove... I know this one works
I will let you know what happens tomorrow.

Thanks for the help

·
Premium Member
1,747 Posts
an aftermarket gauge will be more acurate than the stock guage. take a good look at the stock gauge, and tell me what temp your at.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Last night I finally changed out the thermostat and tested everything out... With the stock gauge it reads normal... When I had the same thermostat in with the RACTIVE aftermarket gauge it would keep climbing...
I did test the thermostat that I took out and it it worked fine(opened when it was supposed to)

I'm going to chalk this one up to a probable bad gauge...

I appreciate all the suggestions

1 - 13 of 13 Posts