Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i just got my new cany paint job about 1-2 months ago. after they sprayed it on with the clear coat. i noticed tiny air bubbles along the body of my taco and some orange peel. its not that noticeable but for a custom truck like mine, its a must to cure it. i was wondering what you guys do to get the orange peel look and air bubbles out?? i was told to use a 1500 wetsand and buff it with some 3m perfect-it rubbing compound. any other methods i can use to do this? and what kind of products you guys reccomend thanks in advance :waytogo:

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
Yeah wet sanding and buffing woudl be good for the orange peel. But for the bubbles, is it the clear coat that is bubbling? If so they are going to have to redo that area over.

·
Registered
10,388 Posts
noelsmykuya said:
wouldnt it come right off if i just westand it too?
Yea along w/ any clear. Sounds like they didn't let the filler dry enough causing the vapors to seep out after it was painted and cleared. That you're going to have to get the shop to fix.

Wet sanding and buffing will only smooth out the orange peel.

·
Premium Member
819 Posts
They may have had a little moisture in the air lines when they sprayed either way wet sanding isnt going to fix it. I woould go talk to the place that sprayed it.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
with otu seeing the paint i cant tell you exactly what it is. but it sounds like you may have gotten some solvent popping. which is sort of liek what was mentioned but its nto from filler. most fillers a set and cured off in a couple of hours. solvent pop is born in the paint prosess. it can be cause by a few things. either not enough tack time inbetween coats of paint or clear and also if you put any kind of sealer on the paint within abotu 30 days of the paint being done. the orange peel can be taken care of with 1500 and some polishing. but it will only make the bubble worse but rupturing the surface and turning them into pin holes.

·
Registered
10,388 Posts
vtechthis said:
with otu seeing the paint i cant tell you exactly what it is. but it sounds like you may have gotten some solvent popping. which is sort of liek what was mentioned but its nto from filler. most fillers a set and cured off in a couple of hours. solvent pop is born in the paint prosess. it can be cause by a few things. either not enough tack time inbetween coats of paint or clear and also if you put any kind of sealer on the paint within abotu 30 days of the paint being done. the orange peel can be taken care of with 1500 and some polishing. but it will only make the bubble worse but rupturing the surface and turning them into pin holes.
I had the same issue, it was from the filler not drying out enough before they did paint. So now I have a nice bubble where my shaved tailgate handle is. Ghey

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
alright i fully wetsanded my whole front end. i got the 3m perfect-it rubbing compound and 3m swirl remover. whats a good buffing machine i can use for this? and is there an instructional video i can watch to learn how to buff. i dont wanna burn off my paint :eyecrazy: do i apply the rubbing compound first then the swirl remover? and what kind of pad do i use?

·
Registered
10,388 Posts
noelsmykuya said:
alright i fully wetsanded my whole front end. i got the 3m perfect-it rubbing compound and 3m swirl remover. whats a good buffing machine i can use for this? and is there an instructional video i can watch to learn how to buff. i dont wanna burn off my paint :eyecrazy: do i apply the rubbing compound first then the swirl remover? and what kind of pad do i use?
Should have gotten to this before you wet sanded. Used a snap-on polisher. 3M foam polishing pad, and 3M Finesse-it II Finishing Material. There's other stuff out there, but that's what I've used before.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts