Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Vendor
7,124 Posts
From what I have seen on my oil temp gauge, I would recommend the OEM type coolant to oil warmer/cooler. The oil temp has a very large fluctuation in temp and the OEM type will stabilize it and keep it from getting to hot.

That is what I am going to do.

Gadget

·
Vendor
7,124 Posts
Jonathan said:
links to either product? i cant find anything.....
If you want the OEM Toyota one, you will have to get the parts from the dealer or salvage yard.

You will need a new thermostat housing, or modify yours with nipples for the coolant lines. You can see the recesses on the part where the nipples would be pressed in on the stock part if the truck had the oil cooler.

Then you will need the two hoses, and the cooler its self that goes under the oil filter. I have several of these from other engines, but it seems that the 1GR one is different from the rest with respect to where the water line nipples are.

Gadget

·
Registered
162 Posts
Gadget said:
From what I have seen on my oil temp gauge, I would recommend the OEM type coolant to oil warmer/cooler. The oil temp has a very large fluctuation in temp and the OEM type will stabilize it and keep it from getting to hot.

That is what I am going to do.

Gadget
+1.

I'd love to see a coolant/oil heat exchanger available for the 1GR-FE like in the Sema X-Runner. The same sort of unit was used on turbocharged Ford 2300's, and I've been hearing whispers for years that top echelon automotive engineers favor them over air/oil coolers for street driven vehicles.

They may not 'cool' the oil as much as an air/oil unit, but since water warms up quicker than oil, they bring the oil to operating temp sooner, and regulate the up/down temperature of the oil.

Air/oil coolers can actually, given the right circumstances, cool the oil too much, to the detriment of performance and engine life.

·
Vendor
7,124 Posts
It is available for the 1GR. I am not sure how they decide what vehicle to install it on, but many 1GR engines have the very same oil cooler as on the SEMA XRunner.

It might be in the Tundra and 4Runner and maybe the double cab. Maybe folks here can check theirs and see what combinations it comes on and what it does not. We all know the XRunner does not have it.

The ideal oil temp for long oil life is 200* F. On my 4Runners with this type of oil cooler, it hovers right around 190 and may get to 210 on the highway. It will go higher if you drive faster for longer periods of time, but overall it does very good.

From what I have seen on the XRunner, it will be 220-230 at highway speed. If you really push it the temp can pass 250 without any effort.

When you sit at idle, the oil temp drops to around 150 or so and the heats back up quick when you get underway. I don't like seeing that broad change in oil temp. The 5vz has a very stable oil temp under all conditions.

I really would like to see a cooler on the 1GR engine and I am very suprised that Toyota did not put one on all the engines.

Gadget

Gadget

·
Registered
38 Posts
My 05 dbl-cab Sport has the oil cooler. In the pic Johnathan posted, you can see it under the sandwich adapter. Is is the thing below it with the black hoses coming out and going to the front of the block where the coolant hoses are.

I can take a pic of mine this evening and post it if needed. looks just like the one posted above.

I have an oil temp gauge installed in my sandwich adapter, and the highest reading I have had so far is 188degf....but of-course that is taken after the oil has been through the cooler.
While driving it varies between 175 and 185, staying at around 178 90% of the time.

EDIT: BTW, I think it comes with the Towing Pkg...which mine has.

·
Registered
8,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
wjdunn3 said:
My 05 dbl-cab Sport has the oil cooler. In the pic Johnathan posted, you can see it under the sandwich adapter. Is is the thing below it with the black hoses coming out and going to the front of the block where the coolant hoses are.

I can take a pic of mine this evening and post it if needed. looks just like the one posted above.

I have an oil temp gauge installed in my sandwich adapter, and the highest reading I have had so far is 188degf....but of-course that is taken after the oil has been through the cooler.
While driving it varies between 175 and 185, staying at around 178 90% of the time.
it came stock?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Well, as luck would have it, my CF card reader is jacked up (kids bent the pins inside some how).

Anyway, I cut out portion of the pic Johnathan posted originaly and outlined the Toyota Oil Cooler that is factory installed with the Towing Pkg. Anyway, it is what the oil filter screws on top of (without the added on sandwich plate for a secondary oil cooler).
Hope this helps.

http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=3753423

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
so theres not actually a cooler(radiator) on your tacoma, just the coolant thing? i wonder where we can find that sandwich plate? (i know jegs and summit) i might just have to take some measurements.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts