Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

2421 - 2440 of 2468 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
98 5-lug, 2.4L
Fabtech Ultimate (U Control Arms, Springs, Spindles)
Alcan Rear Spring Pack, Fabtech Shackles
Mojave 15x8 Teflon
BFG MT2s, 31x10.5
Glassworks Front Fenders (3.5x3.5)

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
So my Doetsch tech 6 inch lift just showed up today! Any one have any advice for me on the kit? Its goin on a 2002 extended cab. I just bought some 15x7 3 3/4 backspace wheels and some 30-9.50 tires. The site said does not include add a leafs just shackles. BUT after opening all my box's (kinda like christmas lol) I ended up with shackles AND add a leafs. Would both even it out or give me the stink bug look?

·
Registered
18 Posts
do the shackle first as it is easier. if it is not high enough, install the springs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys im new to the mini taco scene. My old ford doesnt t even half thr gad mileage lol. But anyways, what combo do i need to clear 31's? I know just a spindle lift will work but i was looking for a little more clearance. Is pairing a coil spacer with a spindle lift a good idea? Or even a lift coil and spindle?

·
Registered
69 Posts
i believe a lift spindle will clear 31's okay. may rub a little.

anywways heres updated pic of my 5 lug after a year of hard work.

98 taco with 2010 conversion clip, jd fab 5" over lt, lift spindle, full engine cage,

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Hey guys im new to the mini taco scene. My old ford doesnt t even half thr gad mileage lol. But anyways, what combo do i need to clear 31's? I know just a spindle lift will work but i was looking for a little more clearance. Is pairing a coil spacer with a spindle lift a good idea? Or even a lift coil and spindle?
A spindle lift will get you to clear 30's. A coil spacer wont add much and will cause future problems. If you can find a lift coil you will be better off.

i believe a lift spindle will clear 31's okay. may rub a little.

anyways heres updated pic of my 5 lug after a year of hard work.

98 taco with 2010 conversion clip, jd fab 5" over lt, lift spindle, full engine cage,
Good luck with that fabtech spindle, because when it breaks, you better hope you're going slow.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Year and Body Style - 1998 additional Black Cab
2RZ-drive, automatic transmission
Front suspension bearings, HD bilstien shocks (3In Fabtech coils and arms, perhapson the road Pins)
Rear suspension shock-STOCK bilstien HD (AAL and shackles)
Wheels and tires-01-04rims Title and Action (30x9.5 BFG less)

Waiting to get on top of things and install the lift

·
Registered
444 Posts
Another Fabtech LBJ Bracket Failure

Hey all,
I haven't posted here in a long time, but I used to frequent this thread.
I had a Fabtech lift in the front. The coils bowed out touching the shocks, and it was too stiff. Fabtech R&D on this one sucked or was non-existent. It was rumored they were aware of many problems with their 6" kit and discontinued it.

I'm tuning back in to report another lower ball joint bracket failure. I used to think this happened only when bashing hard off road. Mine happened on the freeway. The poorly designed kit just puts too much stress on the factory part. Over time this fatigue caused the LBJ bracket to snap with a moderately firm brake applied at highway speeds. My fender and firewall caught the tire and locked it up fairly straight. That tire immediately went into a skid and smoke billowed everywhere. Thankfully I was in the slow lane and was able to steer (with the other tire) to the wide shoulder to safety. I'm glad I did not hit anyone or get hit.

Drive carefully guys, and get spares if you offroad and think this is something you can fix in the field.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Lets get this thread going again. I have a 98 5 lug extended cab 2.4l 5 speed. The truck right now has 17's (its the way i got it) and im going to get some new 15 and tires. I just cant decide if i want to just put stock size on it or go ahead and lift it a little. Right now im getting 30 mpg mixed highway and city and i dont want to kill that with bigger tires. I am a hunter and fishermen and would like to drive out to spots.

I want to get bfg ta ko's just dont know to go with the a size comparable to stock, 215/75-25 or 235/75-15. All depending on if i lift or not.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
I believe you can get away with 30x9.5r15 with minor trimming and stock front suspension. Doetsch still sells 3" lift spindles so they're your best bet for now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well i think the truck is staying with me so im going to start figuring out what to do. Im going to try to do the spindle and aal and also i have to get new rims and tires. Hopefully 235/75-15 just enought to get me through the woods.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The metric size is 235/75-15. What the deal is, I had a friend that had a 94 2wd extended cab 2.4L 5 speed and he recently got t-boned. He is now looking to buy a tacoma that is the same setup as mine. (2.4l extended cab, 5 speed) He really just wants to buy mine. So if I sold him mine I would probably get a tacoma 4x4 or a f250 diesel. If i don't decide to buy it I will lift it and put 30/9.5-15.

2421 - 2440 of 2468 Posts