Toyota Tacoma Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 double cab TRD with the 3.4 litre V/6 automatic. The truck now has 259,500 miles. A short time ago the truck was making a high pitched noise under load. I traced it to a leaky left front half shaft which I replaced. Noise gone. Now it is making a lower pitched moan/whine under light load that is dependent on speed. kick it out of gear and it goes away. Not sure what is causing it. My local mechanic told me he thinks it is the chain in the transfer case. I tried some heavier lube in the case to no effect.

Any experience with this kind of sound? Dying right side half shaft? Transfer case ? Or something else woefully expensive?

Thanks for your input.

Larry

·
Mambeau / Admin
48,047 Posts
Does this new noise happen all the time when the truck's in gear, or only when you've engaged 4WD?

Does the sound ever go away entirely when the truck's in gear? If so - when / what conditions?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does this new noise happen all the time when the truck's in gear, or only when you've engaged 4WD?

Does the sound ever go away entirely when the truck's in gear? If so - when / what conditions?
The sound happens when the truck is in gear, two or 4WD. Starts about 30 MPH and gets stronger as you speed up. If you lift off the gas it disappears. Step on the gas again and it comes back. However when you are coming into a stop the sound drops with the truck speed and drops in volume as the truck slows.

In a way it sounds like a GMC 6/71 supercharger on top of a Chevy V/8 but not as loud or distinct. Yea. I know. Very old school. ;-)

Larry

·
Registered
97 2.4l extra cab manual trans #🌮⏳
2,126 Posts
check for play in driveline. like rear axle issue of center carrier bearing for propshaft

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
check for play in driveline. like rear axle issue of center carrier bearing for propshaft
I know it isn't the carrier bearing. I'm on my third one. I can feel that through the shifter. Plus I just checked it when I greased the many zerk fittings on the driveshafts.

Let me ask this: Given that my 259K truck has been primarily highway driven, with the occasional tow and heavy load in the bed, what has been the frequency of problems to the transfer case seen by the members of the forum? I ask because I am starting to convince myself that maybe the transfer case is OK but the right half shaft is dying of old age and making the noise.

Larry

·
Registered
97 2.4l extra cab manual trans #🌮⏳
2,126 Posts
See if there is a spec for thrust or side play. May be an output/carrier bearing for t case

·
Registered
2 Posts
have to be honest that this is the best truck that I have ever owned. It does great on gas. I never have any problem with it. I use it for hauling, loading kayaks, mountain biking.
Kodi nox
And driving all over the country. In 5 years I have put 100,000 miles on it with no problem. I plan to put another 150,000 miles on it. I just keep the oil changed brakes and tires every two years and she runs like a champ. Great looking truck to. Next time though I think I am going to buy the v6. Better for towing my motorcycle!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts