Toyota Tacoma Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
j-baby
3,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does any 4x4 have the no slip in the front and rear, and if you do , can you feel the results or anything?

·
Registered
73 Posts
I've heard nothing but problems with no-slips on trucks that go off-road. Lock-right is much better, and a detroit is better than that.

I'm doing a spool in the rear and detroit up front on my upcoming trail-only rig.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
what is a detroit exactly a guy was telling me about it and he said he would do it to my taco. something about welding some parts or something i have a 2wd would it be a good idea to try it?

·
Registered
73 Posts
A detroit locker is along the same lines as a no-slip, but it requires disassembly of the whole ring and pinion to put it in, whereas the no-slip fits in the assembly, with little disassembly required. The lock-right is similar to the no-slip, but it's more agressive in its locking (i.e. harsh and noisy), but it's stronger as well.

The Detroit locker combines the smooth operation of the no-slip with the strength (well, stronger than) of the lock-right. But, it costs alot more, and requires all the work to put in.

When you say 2wd, I assume you mean mini-taco, and not a Pre-Runner 2wd? If you're a street oriented guy, I'd stay away from lockers, and go with a limited slip.

Reason: If you're in a corner, and apply any throttle, the locker will lock solid, and make the truck understeer (want to go straight), until such time as you overwhelm the traction of both the rear tires, at which time it will swing the rear out and oversteer (think smoky powerslide). NOT what you want on the street. A limited slip will allow you to put down down in a corner, but won't fully lock both tires.

Off-road, you want both wheels to be LOCKED solid, and the behaivor of the lockers is something that off-road guys are willing to put up with on the street to have the traction off-road.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I had just recieved my no-slip and after reading all of the problems posted on several of these forums , decided to send it back before I have problems. A local differential guru in my city said that detroit is making a soft locker for late model Tacomas and said they would be out soon. I will keep you posted when I find the release date. He also said that a factory limited slip can be more effective for both situations ( on and off road ) and can be picked up at some local boneyards for cheap.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts